Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory 9mm Pro Recoil Spring Weight

Feedback Score

Springfield Armory 9mm Pro Recoil Spring Weight

Does anyone know the recoil spring weight of the 9mm Pros coming from the factory? Mine is running right on the ragged edge of going into battery and I'd like to install a little heavier spring.

I've emailed Springfield, but there hasn't been a response.

Feedback Score
    I cant say what that one is , but other SA 9mm 1911 were 14 lbs
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Even with the substantially radiused Firing Pin Stop on the 9mm, 5", SA guns, a 12# RS is God's plenty, assuming you're running the OEM weight MS.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Even with the substantially radiused Firing Pin Stop on the 9mm, 5", SA guns, a 12# RS is God's plenty, assuming you're running the OEM weight MS.
    Everything is stock. I've only put 600 rounds through it. I was advised on another thread that there would be a slower perceived slide velocity, but a few times I've had to nudge it into battery using WC Vickers mags. Its just a nudge and only three or four times, thats why I believe its on the ragged edge.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    With 9mm carry ammo I run a 12# RS and a 10# with range ammo.
    I run 21# MS, the MS and amount of or lack of (like a FBFPS) Firing Pin radius do the most to retard slide velocity.
    I look at a “Recoil Spring” as a “Return to Battery” spring primarily.
    (In a Wilson, couple Custom Colt builds and 3 DW- all function fine)

If it can easily strip a round out of the mag, it’s sufficient with 9mm IMO.

As you noted, if it hesitates stripping a round from mag, changing RS is a good starting point.
    And yes, a lighter RS does seem to slow slide velocity into battery.

Forgot to add; a heavier RS accentuates the muzzle “dip” as slide slams into battery.
    The less of this a shooter has to deal with, the quicker the following shot.
    Last edited by gaijin; 10-19-20 at 15:55.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    Everything is stock. I've only put 600 rounds through it. I was advised on another thread that there would be a slower perceived slide velocity, but a few times I've had to nudge it into battery using WC Vickers mags. Its just a nudge and only three or four times, thats why I believe its on the ragged edge.
    SA doesn’t suggest using WC mags. Mine wouldn’t lock back and I contacted SA and they said use other mags. I forget if it came with Tripp’s or .....only mags I had issue with was WC. Ran fine just no lock back. Just an FYI

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    With 9mm carry ammo I run a 12# RS and a 10# with range ammo.
    I run 21# MS, the MS and amount of or lack of (like a FBFPS) Firing Pin radius do the most to retard slide velocity.
    I look at a “Recoil Spring” as a “Return to Battery” spring primarily.
    (In a Wilson, couple Custom Colt builds and 3 DW- all function fine)

If it can easily strip a round out of the mag, it’s sufficient with 9mm IMO.

As you noted, if it hesitates stripping a round from mag, changing RS is a good starting point.
    And yes, a lighter RS does seem to slow slide velocity into battery.

Forgot to add; a heavier RS accentuates the muzzle “dip” as slide slams into battery.
    The less of this a shooter has to deal with, the quicker the following shot.
    Ah, it feels weird anyway. I'm used to a .45. This is the first 9mm 1911 I've shot.

Thank you for the info on spring weight. I'll pick up a 12 and see how it works since we don't even know what the OEM weight is.
    Last edited by STAMarine; 10-19-20 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    SA doesn’t suggest using WC mags. Mine wouldn’t lock back and I contacted SA and they said use other mags. I forget if it came with Tripp’s or .....only mags I had issue with was WC. Ran fine just no lock back. Just an FYI

PB
    I didn't know that about WC mags. They are the ones that work though. One of the six CM Custom mags that came with it won't work at all. Every single round dips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is SA still using the extra heavy mainspring?

I like enough recoil spring to strip off a round even if very dirty. I have been using a #15 in my .38 super which works for all ammo tried.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered a flat wire recoil spring kit from Wilson?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast