Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match .308 Sizing Dies

Feedback Score

Match .308 Sizing Dies

Is there a "recommended" match sizing die for .308? Every company has a "match" sizing die, seater die, whatever. Erik Cortana recommends S dies from Redding, other's have different preferences. I'm not shooting bench rest, and I'm just getting off the neck sizing train for my bolt gun.

Any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Below three types of Forster .308 Win dies. You could lap the top of a shell holder .003 and just use the standard .308 sizing die and size the same as the match die. Meaning setting the shoulder back the extra .003 and not buying the Match die. "BUT" this seems like a good way to cause case head separations by increasing your head clearance.

Last edited by bigedp51; 10-19-20 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too use Redding Type-S Match dies exclusively for 556/762 accuracy loads. Note you'll need to order the proper size bushing to go along with the dies for proper neck sizing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I absolutely hated bushing dies. People can make them work, but I got the "dreaded donut", and absolutely have no interest in turning necks.

I just run a Redding Body die, and follow up with a Lee Collet neck sizer after tumbling off case lube.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I absolutely hated bushing dies. People can make them work, but I got the "dreaded donut", and absolutely have no interest in turning necks.

I just run a Redding Body die, and follow up with a Lee Collet neck sizer after tumbling off case lube.
    I'm not sure that I've ever looked into body dies to tell you the truth. I'm already using the neck sizer now, so I think this is a method that would work for me.

Feedback Score
    I also use Redding National Match NM-C Dies Part number 39155

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I'm not sure that I've ever looked into body dies to tell you the truth. I'm already using the neck sizer now, so I think this is a method that would work for me.
    It's a fairly "keep it simple" approach. ESPECIALLY if you're already on the Neck collet program.

Actually, one of my dies is a bushing die with no bushing in it. After getting my fill of neck runout and donuts, I just removed the bushing and still got some value out of the die.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here. I shot National Match M14 across-the-course and for Palma at the National Matches, and a Winchester 70 and Paramount single-shot 308 for Palma.

I sold the M14, Model 70, and Paramount. For my AR-10s, a 7.62 Garand, and 700 I use an RCBS small base die and a Forster benchrest seater.

You get 100-yard 10-shot groups like this from a factory barrel 700 with a Leupold M3LR at 10X:

(click to expand)

shotgroup.jpg

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Same here. I shot National Match M14 across-the-course and for Palma at the National Matches, and a Winchester 70 and Paramount single-shot 308 for Palma.

I sold the M14, Model 70, and Paramount. For my AR-10s, a 7.62 Garand, and 700 I use an RCBS small base die and a Forster benchrest seater.

You get 100-yard 10-shot groups like this from a factory barrel 700 with a Leupold M3LR at 10X:

(click to expand)

shotgroup.jpg
    Is there a specific reason you use a small-base sizing die?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The 700, 70, and two AR-10s had/have factory barrels, the rest have match chambers.

A single die ensures ammo fits any of the rifles in my collection, either bolt or self-loader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast