Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Roberts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Can someone please tell me why the fvck it is ALWAYS Republican-nominated justices who are turncoats? I can't recall a Democrat nominee being a traitor to the Left.

Let's see: Earl Warren, Stevens, Souter, and now Roberts. Kennedy and O'Connor were wishy-washy at best.

WTF?
    Because the sides aren't at all like this:
    https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...les_Sumner.htm

But are instead like this:

https://apnews.com/article/eca94e958...2cc0a384056ae3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Because the sides aren't at all like this:
    https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...les_Sumner.htm

But are instead like this:

https://apnews.com/article/eca94e958...2cc0a384056ae3
    I can't disagree with that unfortunately.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Can someone please tell me why the fvck it is ALWAYS Republican-nominated justices who are turncoats? I can't recall a Democrat nominee being a traitor to the Left.

Let's see: Earl Warren, Stevens, Souter, and now Roberts. Kennedy and O'Connor were wishy-washy at best.

WTF?
    I would say it's more common, but not the rule. Dem appointees are more likely to stay in their lane - do you know any older people who became conservative after 40-45? It's just more notable, closer in time, when a Republican appointee turns out not to write "Republican" opinions. Even FDR appointed guys that ended up being somewhat conservative (really constructionist/contextualist) by the end of their term.

If every justice was a strict-constructionist and/or contextualist, then it shouldn't matter who appoints them.
    Last edited by sundance435; 10-22-20 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    I would say it's more common, but not the rule. Dem appointees are more likely to stay in their lane - do you know any older people who became conservative after 40-45? It's just more notable, closer in time, when a Republican appointee turns out not to write "Republican" opinions. Even FDR appointed guys that ended up being somewhat conservative (really constructionist/contextualist) by the end of their term.

If every justice was a strict-constructionist and/or contextualist, then it shouldn't matter who appoints them.
    I agree wholeheartedly. ALL judges on the SCOTUS should be that way. The only other option is to be an activist, and rarely are there "conservative" activists.

To answer your other question, my aunt is 70yo and she didn't "see the light" until the Obama years, so squarely in her later 50's at the time she came around! But you're right, most people have their minds made up by their 40's.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I agree wholeheartedly. ALL judges on the SCOTUS should be that way. The only other option is to be an activist, and rarely are there "conservative" activists.
    That, of course, is because most conservatives like the Constitution as it is. I think most on the right also accept that the Bill of Rights protects the rights of people to do some things that they may not agree with, but that's the whole point of freedom. We see the Constitution as the one unchangeable authority; it's the only political entity that we can trust. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights that a rational person can truly disagree with. There's no need for conservative "activism" on the bench; we already have almost everything we want and need in the Constitution.

There are conservative "activists", mainly in the Christian right, who think that pet project morality issues override rights. Groups like Focus on the Family have long been into censorship in the name of purity. But I think most conservatives, including most Christians, don't agree with that, see it as a slippery slope, and feel that if a person wants censorship, that's on them and not the government.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 10-22-20 at 15:39.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    That, of course, is because most conservatives like the Constitution as it is. I think most on the right also accept that the Bill of Rights protects the rights of people to do some things that they may not agree with, but that's the whole point of freedom. We see the Constitution as the one unchangeable authority; it's the only political entity that we can trust. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights that a rational person can truly disagree with. There's no need for conservative "activism" on the bench; we already have almost everything we want and need in the Constitution.

There are conservative "activists", mainly in the Christian right, who think that pet project morality issues override rights. Groups like Focus on the Family have long been into censorship in the name of purity. But I think most conservatives, including most Christians, don't agree with that, see it as a slippery slope, and feel that if a person wants censorship, that's on them and not the government.
    Don't be fooled. There are plenty of Leftist Christians too. Who do you think is driving to let illegals into the country. And raising money, making arrangement for their trips from South America, helping to fund lawyers, and then giving them places to live once they are here. Occasionally, they get caught hiding illegals too.

Believe me there are plenty of anti-gun Christians too. And I'm a Christian and definitely Pro-2A
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-22-20 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Don't be fooled. There are plenty of Leftist Christians too. Who do you think is driving to let illegals into the country. And raising money, making arrangement for their trips from South America, helping to fund lawyers, and then giving them places to live once they are here. Occasionally, they get caught hiding illegals too.

Believe me there are plenty of anti-gun Christians too. And I'm a Christian and definitely Pro-2A
    I know. I'd say between a third and half of the Christians I know are pretty far left. We had a huge exodus from our church awhile back because our pastor won't denounce the parts of the Bible that don't fit with their leftist agenda. I also went to a non-denominational Christian college, and I'd say that a good half of the kids there were leftist. The Emerging Church movement was big in the early 2000s, and that led a lot of people astray. Most Christians I grew up with are now hyper leftist, if they haven't outright denounced their faith altogether (which most have).
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    xxxxxx
    Last edited by TomMcC; 10-22-20 at 20:38.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123