Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I shoot AR15 for the very first time yesterday, and I'm FLABBERGASTED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool story, guns are fun. Obviously respect what they can do but have fun doing so. Your next goal should be to join a club with a longer range. Or do whatever you want its your choice and freedom to do so. We are glad to have another God , guns and freedom lover on this side
    Last edited by Twilk73; 10-20-20 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    Fifty years ago, US Army Basic and Advance Infantry Training, I fell in love with the old 20" M16 and the 5.56 cartridge. Nothing has changed for my admiration for that weapons system and cartridge over time. Driven by both military and law enforcement usage, the platform has evolved and improved since those early rifles. They are both fun to shoot and quite effective if used within their operating envelop. More, if one is into it, they are Tinker-Toys for grownups.

Happy you had a good experience.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It’s great having international members. What are the gun laws like where you live?
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first AR. You will likely find out that one is not enough
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It’s great having international members. What are the gun laws like where you live?
    I'm American citizen now, and I live in Great State of Ohio, but I was born and raised in Yugoslavia.
    The gun laws from EX Yugoslavia, pretty much apply nowadays to all Ex YU republics, and they are the Democrats wildest, wettest dreams come true.
    Average Joe simply can not own a gun, or a riffle. It's a privilege for chosen few that are high positions, or bribed somebody in power.
    Legally owned guns and riffles ( together) ration to people is 8%.
    Consider that ones who can own a gun, probably have 2 or more guns, plus probably a hunting riffle, and it all in reality comes to 3-4%.
    Process of getting permit is insane. It's long, expensive, and embarrassing. Police literally will go door to door to interview your neighbors, relatives, and your coworkers.
    Even if you are perfect, and nobody says anything bad about you, there is more interviews in the police station, where often they accuse you that you have bad intentions.
    That you do not trust the police, and the weapon is probably for you to commit crimes.
    Police will put you under pressure, and I can bet you will even get slapped few times.
    It's Communist designed system of selection, that you can't pass .
    I know its sounds like SF, but bottom line its like that.
    I was in the police reserve for 11 years and I've seen few of those interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first AR. You will likely find out that one is not enough
    Thank you. I know that one is not enough, and I already have on my mind what's next, but now it's not right time to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    If you are hitting 2-3" below center at 25yds (75ft) you are likely shooting a rifle that was zeroed for 100 yards. Because of the flight of the bullet you will be hitting low at 25 yards and that's okay, that's to be expected. With a 100yd zero, you will hit slightly low at all distances up to and beyond 100 yards because 100 yards is the peak of the bullet trajectory. That's where the term "holdover" comes from.

If you can, download and print a couple of the 25yard targets from this site and take them to the range next time and you'll be able to confirm a longer zero at short ranges: http://arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html (As you scroll down, the third option is what you want if it is currently zeroed for 100 yards).
    I will for sure. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Same happened to me when I finally shot one. Amazing but wallet suffered ever since.

Spent all my time shooting pistols for years and years never even thinking about either Rifles or Shotguns.

Only handguns for years, and one S&W M&P 15-22LR for my son to practice with.
    I waited too long, and now I'm sorry, because ammo and riffles are so expensive.
    Maybe I never got and AR 15 because all ranges I've been to, are 75 ft max.
    It didn't made a lot of sense to me, to get riffle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will just ad this, congratulations on your very first AR. Learn what you can from it. They are an amazing weapon system. I have been shooting this platform since 1978 and own right at 50 of them in various configurations. I have built nearly 100 of them since 2004. Once you learn the system better, you may find yourself wanting to undertake a build. It is very rewarding to build one and have it perform as it should. There is a lot of good advice on this forum from many who have a lot of experience. Ask and learn. Shoot as much as you can so that you can get use to the weapon. That will increase your proficiency with the platform and help to understand how it operates.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12