Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I shoot AR15 for the very first time yesterday, and I'm FLABBERGASTED

Feedback Score

I shoot AR15 for the very first time yesterday, and I'm FLABBERGASTED

I recently got my first AR15, and what a joy is to shoot it. I'm super impressed from 5.56, and I'm in love with it. I was unfortunate to be born in a communist country,that thank's God doesn't exist anymore, and 5.56 was always bashed and represented to us as a weaker and inferior caliber. I kind of knew that its not true, but knowing and experiencing it in real life, its two different things. Its too bad that ammo is now expensive, and I can't afford to go and shoot more often.
    I have a Black Rain Ordnance SPEC15 FDE 5.56 with BURRIS AR 332 optics.
    I originally wanted to get SIG M 400 TREAD or SPRINGFIELD Saint Victor 5.56, but they were sold out, and this one came as deal, so I got it. The riffle is amassing, and works's flawlessly , but I have few concerns and questions .
    My local shooting range lanes are 75 ft max, and I was under impression that I will
    destroy the target's bulls eye, but it didn't went that well.
    I had my shoots grouped , but they were 2-3 inches bellow the center of the target.
    I've shoot a loot of Zastava AK's and SKS's, and I was always very accurate with them, even if they are pure crap and were without optics.
    When I got the rifle, the optic was already installed from the factory and the salesman assured me that it was zeroed properly at 100 yards.
    If that was the case, at 75 ft I should be hitting high , not low from the center (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Is it possible that shooting 55 grain bullets from a riffle with 1:7 twist can contribute to such inaccuracy at 75 ft?
    I do not exclude that the optics are not zeroed properly, and if they are the issue, any advice how can I adjust them on a 75 ft shooting lane?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-...tlesight-zero/

I'd say a couple inches low and center at 25Y is not only a decent battlesight zero, it's pretty impressive for a new gun with optic from the store to even be zeroed at all.

Also, I would worry a lot more about group sizes than where a new, unsighted by you, rifle is hitting.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Macedonian View Post
    I recently got my first AR15, and what a joy is to shoot it. I'm super impressed from 5.56, and I'm in love with it. I was unfortunate to be born in a communist country,that thank's God doesn't exist anymore, and 5.56 was always bashed and represented to us as a weaker and inferior caliber. I kind of knew that its not true, but knowing and experiencing it in real life, its two different things. Its too bad that ammo is now expensive, and I can't afford to go and shoot more often.
    I have a Black Rain Ordnance SPEC15 FDE 5.56 with BURRIS AR 332 optics.
    I originally wanted to get SIG M 400 TREAD or SPRINGFIELD Saint Victor 5.56, but they were sold out, and this one came as deal, so I got it. The riffle is amassing, and works's flawlessly , but I have few concerns and questions .
    My local shooting range lanes are 75 ft max, and I was under impression that I will
    destroy the target's bulls eye, but it didn't went that well.
    I had my shoots grouped , but they were 2-3 inches bellow the center of the target.
    I've shoot a loot of Zastava AK's and SKS's, and I was always very accurate with them, even if they are pure crap and were without optics.
    When I got the rifle, the optic was already installed from the factory and the salesman assured me that it was zeroed properly at 100 yards.
    If that was the case, at 75 ft I should be hitting high , not low from the center (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Is it possible that shooting 55 grain bullets from a riffle with 1:7 twist can contribute to such inaccuracy at 75 ft?
    I do not exclude that the optics are not zeroed properly, and if they are the issue, any advice how can I adjust them on a 75 ft shooting lane?
    If you are hitting 2-3" below center at 25yds (75ft) you are likely shooting a rifle that was zeroed for 100 yards. Because of the flight of the bullet you will be hitting low at 25 yards and that's okay, that's to be expected. With a 100yd zero, you will hit slightly low at all distances up to and beyond 100 yards because 100 yards is the peak of the bullet trajectory. That's where the term "holdover" comes from.

If you can, download and print a couple of the 25yard targets from this site and take them to the range next time and you'll be able to confirm a longer zero at short ranges: http://arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html (As you scroll down, the third option is what you want if it is currently zeroed for 100 yards).
    Last edited by Skrapmetal; 10-20-20 at 06:27.

Feedback Score
    WELCOME! Listen. Read. Absorb the info these guys are sharing with you. There is arguably no better place online to learn about the platform.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Welcome and congrats on your new rifle!

As others have mentioned, it's appropriate for an AR zero'd at 100yds to be low at 25yds. Research a little more about sight offset, holdover, and trajectories and you'll get it. There are a couple pinned topics above, and tons of stuff on the google.

If you can, find a spot to confirm the 100yd zero, then shoot the crap out of it at all sorts of ranges, and you'll develop an intuitive feel for the offset/holdover/trajectory topic.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Link to an easy to understand explanation of how it works. http://www.livefreeinsider.com/2017/...standing-zero/ I know nothing about that optic but have doubts you could even zero it down to 25yds if you wanted to.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macedonian View Post
    I recently got my first AR15, and what a joy is to shoot it. I'm super impressed from 5.56, and I'm in love with it.
    Same happened to me when I finally shot one. Amazing but wallet suffered ever since.

Spent all my time shooting pistols for years and years never even thinking about either Rifles or Shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Feedback Score
    Enjoy the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast