Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super spreader event is ok

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    It weeds out the old and sick people who are close to the stupid ones, actually. The only way to really protect yourself is to stay home, work remotely, shop online for delivered food, and not allow anyone from the outside into your home. I'm not going to live like a hermit because some Chinese people didn't cook their bat thoroughly.

On the flip side, we have idiots travelling across the country and back to attend weddings, protests, motorcycle rallies, and sporting events - all full of idiots that traveled across the country to be there.

Masks don't fix stupid and vaccine only works if enough people are inoculated.
    This. It's usually the at-risk who come into contact with the idiots that suffer. Reason #4,568 we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    But the vast majority of their 5.6% were in nursing homes

Sweden deaths by age
    20-29 11
    30-39 18
    40-49 45
    50-59 167
    60-69 410
    70-79 1272
    80-90 2456
    90+. 1541

Majority of dead are between 70 and 100 years old and the majority of those are between 80 and 90 years old

I'm not saying it's ok for older people to die. But saying the death rate is 5.6% while true is a little misleading.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Just further reinforces the fact that the people who are getting infected at events like Sturgis are not feeling most of the impact - it's others around them, whether they know it or not. If someone went to Sturgis and quarantined for 2 weeks, good for them. If they came back and visited/worked at a nursing home, they probably killed some people because they are literally too stupid to hold themselves accountable.

I, too, am not living like a hermit, but I've adjusted my life to account for the fact that I will come in contact with at-risk people. I've tried to balance the risks vis a vis my behavior as best I can, which is all I would expect anyone to do. There are still far too many people not even doing that because they can't fathom how their actions might have real consequences for others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    But the vast majority of their 5.6% were in nursing homes

Sweden deaths by age
    20-29 11
    30-39 18
    40-49 45
    50-59 167
    60-69 410
    70-79 1272
    80-90 2456
    90+. 1541

Majority of dead are between 70 and 100 years old and the majority of those are between 80 and 90 years old

I'm not saying it's ok for older people to die. But saying the death rate is 5.6% while true is a little misleading.
    I struggle with how a statement of fact, 5.6% case fatality rate, is somehow misleading. It is binary - 100% true, 0% false.

That is not meant as a personal attack, as I noticed the same issue on the reported COVID cases. Anyone with basic medical knowledge understands they are individually reported cases, but not necessarily always separate individuals. The more ignorant learn this and some how interpret their ignorance as an attempt to fool them. (Also that is the GRU’s message FWIW https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...m_08-04-20.pdf)

No intent to deceive in the Swedish Case Fatality Rate but there is a certain tendency for people to minimize when they don’t like the fact or lack the cognitive process to interpret the information.

Same for a dead Swede or dead American. If they are dead, does it matter how old they were? They are cold on a slab. The bare fact does undercut the ethical attractiveness of the Swedish model of limited mitigation, which conservatively is 10x worse than the US fatality performance (and likely closer to 20x worse when time adjusted). Some folks don’t concern themselves with such moral or ethical issues; my opinion is that such public policy consideration is appropriate relative large recreational events such as Sturgis motorcycle rally. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I struggle with how a statement of fact, 5.6% case fatality rate, is somehow misleading. It is binary - 100% true, 0% false.

That is not meant as a personal attack, as I noticed the same issue on the reported COVID cases. Anyone with basic medical knowledge understands they are individually reported cases, but not necessarily always separate individuals. The more ignorant learn this and some how interpret their ignorance as an attempt to fool them. (Also that is the GRU’s message FWIW https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...m_08-04-20.pdf)

No intent to deceive in the Swedish Case Fatality Rate but there is a certain tendency for people to minimize when they don’t like the fact or lack the cognitive process to interpret the information.

Same for a dead Swede or dead American. If they are dead, does it matter how old they were? They are cold on a slab. The bare fact does undercut the ethical attractiveness of the Swedish model of limited mitigation, which conservatively is 10x worse than the US fatality performance (and likely closer to 20x worse when time adjusted). Some folks don’t concern themselves with such moral or ethical issues; my opinion is that such public policy consideration is appropriate relative large recreational events such as Sturgis motorcycle rally. YMMV.
    Because it's a specific portion of the population. By saying it's 5.6% makes it seem like babies, teens, men, women, children, elderly....etc .. No matter where you look people of all races, ages and sexes are dropping dead.

It does matter how old they are. What are my chances if I'm a healthy 23 year old? What are my chances of I'm a bed ridden 93 year old? Now, keeping everything locked to save the 93 year old?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 10-22-20 at 19:34.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12