Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super spreader event is ok

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Super spreader event is ok

Yet again.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    So... we need multiple mass events to encourage people to "get out and vote."
    But we need early mail-in voting to ensure everyone can vote because due to 'these unprecedented circumstances' not everyone can get out and vote...

Yep, makes perfect sense, nothing to see here, move along citizen.

Never forget, the self righteous authoritarian news d-bags and associated government officials were the first to call BS on the virus when it appeared, LONG before any conserv/right personalities did...
    Also, as mentioned before... we need to shut down everything, but apparently a porous fabric facemask and some hand sanitizer means it's ok to mass-gather in a shoulder to shoulder space.
    Logic 100/100 obviously.

Of course, we all know the truth of it is, these folks "marching for justice" are expendable anyway. Just useful enough to further the agenda, but not needed beyond that.
    But their own ego won't let them see it. It all feels so good to be caught up in the frenzy.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm just here to see if anybody has already done back-validation of the supposed cost of running Sturgis - whatever preposterous number they spouted out, because I highly doubt the data supports anything within an order of magnitude of their prognostication
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Leftist indignation makes one impervious to coronavirus. Everybody knows that, sheesh!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I'm just here to see if anybody has already done back-validation of the supposed cost of running Sturgis - whatever preposterous number they spouted out, because I highly doubt the data supports anything within an order of magnitude of their prognostication
    The real answer is no one knows.
    I was privy to the State of SD’s public health preparation for Sturgis, which was not extensive but certainly restrained because of Gov. Noem’s politics.

There also were verifiable potential superspreader events at Sturgis. Check out the August 2020 public health releases here - https://doh.sd.gov/news/recent-releases.aspx. Kudos for South Dakota for not sweeping cases under the rug - they were up front about some jackass who was infectious all afternoon at One-Eyed Jack’s Saloon or the tattoo artist who were “sharing” at Sturgis. Likely a vast majority of the likely cases were not traced back or the elapsed time/travel made the linkages pretty questionable.

Anyone trying to determine Sturgis impacts is going to be making a guess. COVID’s asymptomatic spread and the context of a global pandemic, along with fairly high US attack rates driven by reopening colleges two-three weeks later thoroughly muddies the water.

My opinion is holding a Sturgis was dumb. If you disagree, you are dumb too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @hardtohandle nature weeds out the weak, is that stupid? If you're not smart enough to protect yourself or you're worried, don't expect me to protect you. With a 99.97% survival rate I'm not about to change the way I live.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    @hardtohandle nature weeds out the weak, is that stupid? If you're not smart enough to protect yourself or you're worried, don't expect me to protect you. With a 99.97% survival rate I'm not about to change the way I live.
    It weeds out the old and sick people who are close to the stupid ones, actually. The only way to really protect yourself is to stay home, work remotely, shop online for delivered food, and not allow anyone from the outside into your home. I'm not going to live like a hermit because some Chinese people didn't cook their bat thoroughly.

On the flip side, we have idiots travelling across the country and back to attend weddings, protests, motorcycle rallies, and sporting events - all full of idiots that traveled across the country to be there.

Masks don't fix stupid and vaccine only works if enough people are inoculated.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just remember, it's never been about the virus...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...pendent-review

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said the state will independently review the Trump administration's anticipated coronavirus vaccine before approving distribution to its 39 million residents.

"Of course we won't take anyone's word for it," Newsom said Monday as he named 11 doctors and scientists to review any rollout of vaccines by the federal government or vaccine developers.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo similarly said in September that his state would conduct an independent review of the vaccine, citing politicization concerns, saying he is "not going to trust the federal government's opinion" during an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

"The first question is, is the vaccine safe? Frankly, I'm not going to trust the federal government's opinion and I wouldn't recommend to New Yorkers based on the federal government's opinion," Cuomo said at a press conference at the time. He later told ABC's "Good Morning America" that Americans should be "very skeptical" of taking the vaccine.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    Cool. I believe the Highway Patrol said the Sturgis traffic count was down 6% from the previous year, so lots of people agreed with you.
    I absolutely appreciate lots of people depend on Sturgis for their financial wellbeing. The State of South Dakota served those people well.
    And I also believed the State did a reasonable job of the public health work, so no fault there.

As for spreading an infectious disease around for some R&R with your drinking buddies? Same way I feel about the NBA.
    Unnecessary.

Also remember South Dakota is using the Swedish model for COVID control. As of earlier this week, the Swedish COVID case fatality rate was 5.6%, which yields only a 94.4% survival rate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post

Also remember South Dakota is using the Swedish model for COVID control. As of earlier this week, the Swedish COVID case fatality rate was 5.6%, which yields only a 94.4% survival rate.
    But the vast majority of their 5.6% were in nursing homes

Sweden deaths by age
    20-29 11
    30-39 18
    40-49 45
    50-59 167
    60-69 410
    70-79 1272
    80-90 2456
    90+. 1541

Majority of dead are between 70 and 100 years old and the majority of those are between 80 and 90 years old

I'm not saying it's ok for older people to die. But saying the death rate is 5.6% while true is a little misleading.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 10-22-20 at 07:27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast