Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The new GMC HUMMER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    A variety of diesel can be made from vegetable oil or waste fat.
    Or there's biodiesel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Also, there were a considerable number of cars converted to alternative fuels during WWII; when actual gasoline was prioritized for military uses. The Japanese used alcohol based fuels, which admittedly were not a great substitute but they did work. In Europe, some cars were converted to woodgas. The vehicle needed to be fitted with a gasifier to liberate the combustible gas from fuels, like wood, and then feed it to the carburetor. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas You will notice it is not as convenient as modern transport because it requires some preheating in order start producing gas to run the car BUT you can get fuel in just about any woodlot.

It won't be long before people in California will need to revive this technology because California plans to outlaw gasoline cars. Then they can put some of that dead underbrush to good use instead of wasting it in forest fires.
    California is outlawing the sale of NEW gas powered cars by 2035.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba04 View Post
    It’s still a GM.....
    Is it though? It's popular for car companies to own a dozen other brands and buy from competitors. Example, the new Toyota Supra will have a BMW engine!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    In all fairness, and electric truck is much more SHTF worthy than a gas or diesel one.

I can't think of, or don't know how to make my own petroleum. I also don't stockpile gas in any amounts considered 'serious'.

I can think of many ways to trickle charge a battery.
    Actually, there was a place where gasoline and diesel became very scarce and alternatives had to be found. They used wood to power trucks and cars.

This training tank runs on wood chips:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Is it though? It's popular for car companies to own a dozen other brands and buy from competitors. Example, the new Toyota Supra will have a BMW engine!

Has. The new supra has been out for a hot minute.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post

Cool! I don't follow car news all that much

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    They can be registered and licensed in many states. I don't know the specifics put I have seen several on the road in UT and AZ.

When I first registered my M-715 I had a little trouble. Mostly because it had a 5 digit serial# as a VIN.
    Ah, I was always told they couldn't be registered for some safety reason or other. That's why they never really showed on the DRMO lots. Of course, I haven't checked a DRMO lot in a long time, so there is that.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post

The Supra is a BMW, just a Z4 underneath.

So basically it will end up being a pile of dog shit in the reliability department because BMW’s are trash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    100% electric... It's a toy mall crawler.

I mean a $100,000 toy mall crawler. No practical use, but it would be fun to have if you are rich.
    Yep, you're right. It will sell like hotcakes
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

That’s fair. I was a big Chevy guy until government motors happened. After that I have had bad luck with their vehicles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Armed with the knowledge that the commercial was CGI, and the final product will likely look a little bit different...I still think it's cool. Fully electric vehicles are here to stay; eventually they will get cheaper and at least this thing does not look like that hideous Tesla monstrosity that was likely drawn by the kindergartener of a Tesla designer.

But what I really need is GM to make the same style truck with the same tech on the same size frame, and then stuff a small diesel into it and knock 40 or 50 grand off the sticker.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast