Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The new GMC HUMMER

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    This. If it runs out of charge in the backcountry then what? Open the solar panels and wait a year?
    In all fairness, and electric truck is much more SHTF worthy than a gas or diesel one.

I can't think of, or don't know how to make my own petroleum. I also don't stockpile gas in any amounts considered 'serious'.

I can think of many ways to trickle charge a battery.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    If you have a way to connect a steam engine to a gear and drive a generator you could convert any combustible material into electrical current.

So hypothetically if you have a water source and fuel source you could keep an EV operational within a limited range, or haul your steam engine generator around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    If you have a way to connect a steam engine to a gear and drive a generator you could convert any combustible material into electrical current.

So hypothetically if you have a water source and fuel source you could keep an EV operational within a limited range, or haul your steam engine generator around.
    When I heard about 'rolling coal"(?), I thought people had actually put a coal fired boiler in the bed of their truck. Very disappointed.

I'm fine with letting other people pay for bleeding edge tech while they get to scale and bring costs down.

When you look at EV vehicles and the Green Building push for Net Zero buildings, it's almost like they anticipate the crash of society and infrastructure. Cool tech. Try to implement it to everyone and you'll starve and kill people.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    In all fairness, and electric truck is much more SHTF worthy than a gas or diesel one.

I can't think of, or don't know how to make my own petroleum. I also don't stockpile gas in any amounts considered 'serious'.

Well, when those fancy electronics fail (and they will, it’s GM) your EV is just as useless as the gas/diesel guys.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    This thing is certainly a counter to the Tesla modern marvel of grotesque.

One question I have for the gear heads or law savvy folks on here about the .mil spec HMMWVs. How come they can't (or won't) be made street legal? It seems like a surplus market for the older non-armored ones would be significant as the aforementioned backcountry toys.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It’s still a GM.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Did we just become best friends?
    ron_friends.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

One question I have for the gear heads or law savvy folks on here about the .mil spec HMMWVs. How come they can't (or won't) be made street legal? It seems like a surplus market for the older non-armored ones would be significant as the aforementioned backcountry toys.
    They can be registered and licensed in many states. I don't know the specifics put I have seen several on the road in UT and AZ.

When I first registered my M-715 I had a little trouble. Mostly because it had a 5 digit serial# as a VIN.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

I am sure the states consider the cost of the highway maintenance crews spending all their time picking up broken HMMWV bits and the wear and tear all the loaded wreckers will put on the roads hauling them to the shop.

Feedback Score

A variety of diesel can be made from vegetable oil or waste fat.
    Or there's biodiesel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Also, there were a considerable number of cars converted to alternative fuels during WWII; when actual gasoline was prioritized for military uses. The Japanese used alcohol based fuels, which admittedly were not a great substitute but they did work. In Europe, some cars were converted to woodgas. The vehicle needed to be fitted with a gasifier to liberate the combustible gas from fuels, like wood, and then feed it to the carburetor. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas You will notice it is not as convenient as modern transport because it requires some preheating in order start producing gas to run the car BUT you can get fuel in just about any woodlot.

It won't be long before people in California will need to revive this technology because California plans to outlaw gasoline cars. Then they can put some of that dead underbrush to good use instead of wasting it in forest fires.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast