Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength

Feedback Score
    This is accurate:

What does the program advise if/when one does not make progress? Rippetoe tends to lay things out in easy to understand and follow programming.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    I don’t know the episode #, but yes, the one that just dropped this past Thursday or Friday.

Again, please keep in mind, I am not an exercise physiologist, Dr, or Starting Strength coach, just a 47 year old former power lifter with experience with this programming. I am 5’11’’, 265lbs and have been involved in strength training, using similar programs, since I was in high school. I have been training inconsistently over the last 15 years, with occasional years between training. COVID got me training again, as I have all the equipment I need at home. I am not using the exact program at the moment, but am training Squat, press, and chins every other day. Been doing this for about the last 2 months. I am about to reduce volume as I am starting to slow a little in recovery. I am doing 3 sets of 5 on the 2 lifts, and as many sets as I need to to finish 15 reps on the chins. Last session was 405 squat for 3x5, 225 press for 3x5, and chins 5,4,4,2. I have used Starting Strength programs to train both of my kids. Daughter doesn’t train anymore, but when she was playing field,hockey in high school, I got her to a deadlift of 250, at a body weight of about 105. My son is 5’10, 245lbs, 16 yo. Squats 425, deadlifts 460, presses 225, and still has a lot of room to go.

I have no idea what you did to your shoulder, but sounds like it would be worth getting it checked out. My bet is your grip is a problem. You may need to make it a point to try to lift your elbows to the rear some to help create the shelf for the bar, but make sure you don’t lift so much that it pushes your posture forward. Crazy as it sounds, the type of shirt you wear may contribute to this as well. Synthetic materials become slick under the bar, especially when sweating. Cotton shirts actually help grip the bar.

The other factor you did not mention is how physical your day job is, or how much you do exercise wise outside of the weight room.
    Synthetic Nike and LuLu Lemon workout shirts, no chalk, center knurling on the Rogue Ohio Power Bar. I’m currently doing school remotely so except for chasing after my son, pretty sedentary lifestyle at the moment. I have a Dark Iron lifting belt that I use just for working sets of squats, I tried using it for deadlifts but it didn’t feel right. Recently ordered a weighted dip belt so I can start loading on my pull-ups and chin-ups. I’m going to dig into Rip’s articles or just buy the books, and get more info while I let my shoulders/triceps recover and then I’ll get back into it. Not going to completely stop working out though, still going to keep working on my deadlift but will drop my squat and bench down to around 180 just to keep the movements solid.

If I don’t notice an improvement after two weeks of taking it easy then I’ll contact my Dr. otherwise, I’ll repeat the last two weeks of the program that I did successfully and go from there.

Feedback Score
    Read the books, study the lifts videos on his website. In the books, you will likely find the answers for why you stalled already. Will Brink mentioned earlier that Rippetoe usually spells this stuff out, and he does.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you, I’ve been listening to the podcasts and watching the videos for a while now, I don’t feel like I’m really stalling as just dealing with an injury, my bar speed on squat and overhead press was starting to slow prior to the injury but I have some one pound plates I was going to start using soon to keep from stalling. I’m going to order the books tonight.

Feedback Score
    Its ok to take a break when flirting with injury plus less than ideal sleep and nutrition. Erring on the side of undertraining means you don’t progress as fast as theoretically possible. Over training can have far greater consequences!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    Its ok to take a break when flirting with injury plus less than ideal sleep and nutrition. Erring on the side of undertraining means you don’t progress as fast as theoretically possible. Over training can have far greater consequences!
    Deloading actually improves progress and will be scheduled into smart strength athletes programs as well as other sports. See also:

https://brinkzone.com/why-are-bodybu...ck-in-the-70s/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    I’m on week 5 of the Starting Strength Novice program and am hitting a wall. Last Wednesday on my last rep of squats I let my shoulders relax as I came up and the bar started to slide down my back. I was squatting 230 for three sets of five for those unfamiliar with the program. I basically put most of the weight on my shoulders and arms as I rushed to rack it before it fell ( late at night and didn’t want to risk waking anyone by dropping it) my Bench right after suffered as well. The deadlift wasn’t bad.

This caused pain in my shoulders, triceps, and elbows. Due to having a drill weekend I didn’t lift Friday and when I lifted Monday I had to increase my squat by only 2 pounds instead of five and it was a serious struggle. The first working set I did three reps of 235 and then had to drop down to 232.

Tonight I went to 235 and my shoulders are hurting pretty bad, elbows and triceps are aching but not as bad. Working on overhead press of 110 now and it’s a serious grind. Supposed to deadlift 250 next. I am running on fumes though. I know I’m not eating and sleeping enough but school and SGM academy and family obligations prevent from correcting that.
    Number one, fix your food and rest.

Your deadlift and OH press seem low compared to your squat. What is your bench at?

On hand placement I tend to end up so my thumbs are just at the ring marks on the bar while keep a neutral wrist position. My hands are on top of the bar and my knuckles are perpendicular to my forearms and not inline with the bar. Thumbs are on top of the bar.

The closer you can get your hands to your shoulders and the higher your elbows the tighter the shelf for the bar will be. I think this is essential for a low bar squat.

The SS progression will stall pretty quick if you aren't resting and eating enough, or if you went too high with your initial numbers. I also found that I needed to have longer rest times between sets the further I got down the line. Just going from a 2:00 min rest between sets to a 3:00 can make a difference. I don't see guys at the gym with a 315 squat doing sets every 1:00.

I also suggest doing a deload on your lifts that are stalling. All lifts will not progress the same. This is normal. Doing a deload seems like taking a step back and it is, but its necessary for continued improvement. Think of your workouts as contributing to the cumulative effect of training and not individual feats of performance.
    Last edited by bp7178; 11-05-20 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So what I did was deload my squat and bench as the pain was effecting both. I then did five rounds of 20x5 chin-ups with a min rest between sets. This has really helped with the pain. I’ve been staying at 160 for my squat and 180 for bench.

So just before the injury, My Bench was at 205 for 3x5.

Currently my deadlift is 275 for a set of 5
    Overhead press is at 122.5 for 5x3

Now that I’m feeling better, I’m going to start ramping my squat and bench back up so by next week I’ll be squatting 225, and benching 205. At least that’s the plan, perhaps I’ll do a longer ramp up to get back to the weight I was at when the injury occurred.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    So what I did was deload my squat and bench as the pain was effecting both. I then did five rounds of 20x5 chin-ups with a min rest between sets. This has really helped with the pain. I’ve been staying at 160 for my squat and 180 for bench.

So just before the injury, My Bench was at 205 for 3x5.

Currently my deadlift is 275 for a set of 5
    Overhead press is at 122.5 for 5x3

Now that I’m feeling better, I’m going to start ramping my squat and bench back up so by next week I’ll be squatting 225, and benching 205. At least that’s the plan, perhaps I’ll do a longer ramp up to get back to the weight I was at when the injury occurred.
    Do the main thing carefully. With a lot of weight, correct technique is most important. Otherwise, you will be injured more than once.

Feedback Score
    as you get older, you'll find that you can't add much weight at all, unless you reduce the number of reps and only train a muscle group once per week. I use 4 reps, 3, 2 , 1, 4, going up in weight for each of the first 4 sets, and then back down to starting weight for the last 4 reps. If you can't do that, you're starting too heavy. I can usually add 5 lbs per week with legs, and 2.5 lbs per week for some of the arm stuff. The others, it's every couple of weeks. do this for a while and you can tell 2-3 days in advance when you're catching a cold or the flu, cause your performance falls way off.
    Last edited by tellum; 11-13-20 at 18:11.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast