Thread: Is Dryfiring affects Rimfire rifles?

Feedback Score

Is Dryfiring affects Rimfire rifles?

I have been using centerfire designs for months. But I don’t have any idea about rimfires Recently I came to know that when we do dry fire in a rimfire rifles it ill affect the gun’s performance because of its brittle firing pins. If we do so how many rounds of dryfire will it take to affect the gun. Or is there any Gun Customization tricks to make it more reliable

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most modern rimfires are designed to prevent damage if dry fired. However, it's still best practice not to dry fire a rimfires without snap caps. With some designs, damage to the chamber and firing pin from continuous dry fire is a real possibility.

I have a 10/22 I've owned for more than 40 years. I don't dry fire practice with it, but there bolt doesn't hold open on the last shot. That means it's been dry fired when the mag runs dry. Two years ago, after firing tens of thousands of rounds through it, I replaced the worn out firing pin.

Don't make a practice of dry firing your rimfires without snap caps, but don't worry much about dry firing when the mag runs dry.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    A lot of manufacturers say you can dry fire their guns but why risk it.
    Like MistWolf said get some snap caps which can be a little pricey but they work well. If you are cheap like me go down to your hardware store and get a pack of Hillman Group Ribbed Plastic Wall Anchors #370326. They are yellow in color and they will fit your chamber just fine and protect the firing pin. I don't do a lot of dry firing with my 22's but after cleaning and reassembling I'll use one just cushion the firing pin as a precaution.

WLR in E. TN.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Also if you do ever have a 22 where you've built up a burr on the lip of the chamber due to dry firing, this guy will fix it:

https://www.tandemkross.com/ChamberM...erIroningSwage

You can tell if you have damaged a chamber by doing a "drop" test with a snap cap. Manually push it into the chamber with bolt locked back, then point the gun upward, if cap drops free your chamber is good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will say that, I believe, most Modern 22lr are probably very unlikely to experience a true issue beyond some sort of Quality of Life issues (like a burr or worn pin over time).

But, one of the very first 22lr I ever purchased was a Mossberg "Mil Training Rifle". It was tube fed, I believe the model was 146 (B or M Designation). I got it for 75 bucks from the LGS, being young and stupid, I cleaned it, oiled everything, and dry fired it. The moment I did, I heard something break, and sure enough the end of the firing pin had sheared off.

Funnily enough, I called the shop to ask if they would be able to find another, and they gave me 25 bucks back and told me to look at Natchez. Sure enough, I got a replacement at the time for 10 bucks or so from them.

After that, I use snap caps for everything. I also rigged up my 10/22 takedown for Last Round Hold Open.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!