Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 37 years ago.....lest we forget

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    that incident is what prompted Commandant Al Grey to implement a change in USMC policy that required every Marine on sentry duty anywhere in the world would carry a loaded weapon.
    The unfortunate thing about that order is General Grey made that call in 1987 right before I went in. When I reported to 2/8 weapons company in March of 88 a few of the NCO's in the Battalion were in Beirut. They were in Grenada and left to go to Beirut. I remember all of the officers surrounding one of our Sergeant's during an Alphas inspection because non of them had ever seen a combat action ribbon on someone who wan't in Vietnam. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 10-23-20 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    My machine gun instructor at the School of Infantry was there. He "suppressed" several Hezbollah fighters as an 0331 during his deployment.
    Bombing was in 1983, Hezbollah was formed in 1985.

Feedback Score
    Double tap.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-25-20 at 13:47.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    But wasn't Islamic Jihad basically the same thing as Hezbollah, or essentially their predecessors? I recall decades later when one of those involved in the bombing was killed somewhere and he was listed as a Hezbollah honcho.

To wit (from Wiki):

"A 2003 American court decision found IJO was the name used by Hezbollah for its attacks in Lebanon, parts of the Middle East and Europe. The US, Israel and Canada consider the names "Islamic Jihad Organization", "Organization of the Oppressed on Earth" and the "Revolutionary Justice Organization" to be synonymous with Hezbollah."
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I see the 1985 date is found on Wikipedia but it is factually incorrect.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When I first joined the Guard 20 years ago, the unit's full-timer was a former Marine. He once told me how he was sent to Grenada shortly after graduating Boot camp and that he was in Beirut during the bombing, said he would have been among the dead but couldn't sleep so he went down and hung out at one of the guard shacks.

Feedback Score
    Islamic Jihad eventually evolved into Hezbollah. But it wasn't really Hezbollah as we know it today.

Lebanon and the different groups is what I lived, for over a decade.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My cousin was deployed to Beirut while in the Marines. He and a few other Marines were sent back stateside to get a mobile air pad. He was on his way back to the root when the bastards bombed the barracks. He lost a lot of friends in the bombing. It 'f"ed him up for a long time afterwards.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    When I first joined the Guard 20 years ago, the unit's full-timer was a former Marine. He once told me how he was sent to Grenada shortly after graduating Boot camp and that he was in Beirut during the bombing, said he would have been among the dead but couldn't sleep so he went down and hung out at one of the guard shacks.
    He may have had his wires crossed. Beirut and Grenada occurred two days apart, Oct 23rd and 25th respectively. If he was in Beirut when the bombing took place I doubt he was pulled out and sent to Grenada two days later; Beirut was a shit-show requiring all hands on deck (at least those left anyway).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    He may have had his wires crossed. Beirut and Grenada occurred two days apart, Oct 23rd and 25th respectively. If he was in Beirut when the bombing took place I doubt he was pulled out and sent to Grenada two days later; Beirut was a shit-show requiring all hands on deck (at least those left anyway).
    Concur. The 22nd MEU (MAU then) was enroute to Beirut but then tasked to Grenada; the army took up their positions so they could reroute to Lebanon. Marines did not leave Beirut for Grenada, then go back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast