Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky safety selector switch in new build

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I found this thread while doing a search.

Had the same problem on a rifle that is almost 10 years old.
    Maybe 5000 rounds from lots of classes.

LOTS of reps with the safety.

Well, in the past few months I had not fired it much but the safety was much more difficult to move than normal.

I could still do it, but would have ended up with a sore thumb if used in a class.

I oiled it but that did not solve the problem.

I have the proper tool to remove the screw in for the grip.

The spring inside was one thick mass of crud. It was all caked up with oil and carbon.

I removed the safety switch and took out the detent.

Upon close examination the point was asymmetrical. Meaning it no longer came to an even point.

As a result it would not slide in and out of the detent slots in the safety switch.

I have an expensive collection of hundreds of small parts so I have the spring and detent.

I thoroughly cleaned out the holes for the detent and spring in the receiver and grip with cotton swabs.

Then I realized I had a newer Magpul grip and put it all back together with the new grip.

You wont bend the spring and can push the grip in easily if you do so while the receiver is flat on it's side.

I put a little oil on the safety switch - should have greased the detent holes - and now the switch feels wonderful.

I have a Battle Arms ambi short throw switch with really feels comfortable.

Fortunately I had a T10 screwdriver bit (I also have the mini wrench) to take apart the switch for removal.

I am so glad to me a member of this forum which had been priceless for AR15 related info.

Feedback Score
    Double check you used the right spring. I accidentally put my bolt catch spring in the grip/safety detent hole and it made it stiff/gummy.

Dunning-krugger effect got me!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Double check you used the right spring. I accidentally put my bolt catch spring in the grip/safety detent hole and it made it stiff/gummy.

Dunning-krugger effect got me!
    The bolt catch spring is less than 1/2 the size of the selector spring.

Wouldn't the bolt catch spring get caught deep inside the grip?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12