Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 30mm Red Dot under $200?

Feedback Score

Best 30mm Red Dot under $200?

Like it says...

I'm looking at the Vortex StrikeFire II and the SIG Romeo7.

What else should I be considering? (Besides saving for an AimPoint PRO.)

TL;DR: My 14-year-old daughter and I are shooting "rimfire challenge," and she wants a red dot to mount on a 10/22. This is not not NOT for serious purposes.

I like a bigger aperature/field of view, and weight isn't much of an issue (hence, I want a 30mm optic, and not a "mini" anything).

Feedback Score
    OK, now I'm looking at a basic Leupold Freedom RDS ($270ish), too...

Basically, I'm looking for any "full-size" red dot that I can mount in normal riflescope rings. (I'd need to buy a set of 34mm rings to mount the Leupold.)

Feedback Score
    OK, I'm still undecided...

Really, I want a combination of the three I mentioned:

1. I want the SIG's AA battery compatibility, but the 2moa dot is going to be too small for a .22lr that's used within 25yds, and often within 10yds, and the mount is too high, even with the spacer out of the way.

2. I want the Vortex's 4moa dot and easy 30mm mount, but I'm not happy about getting into CR2 batteries.

3. I want the Leupold's bomb-proof construction, made-in-the-USA, and motion activiation, but the 1moa dot is a total deal breaker.

So, right now I'm leaning towards the Vortex and a 10-pack of CR2 batteries...
    Last edited by Bimmer; 10-24-20 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    I had the Strikefire until I went to the Strike Eagle. I liked it and had no issues with it. Leupold makes some great optics, speaking on their scopes as I haven’t run any red dots from them.

Feedback Score
    You could take a look at primary arms as well. It is only $129.99 and had lifetime warranty. I have a few if their dots on 22s and such and have had no issues at all. Very good customer service as well

It does have a 2 moa dot though but trust is what I prefer and batteries not what you prefer

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ultradot 30. Made in Japan, 4 MOA dot, CR2032 battery available anywhere, and they are very light.

$223 from Ultradot West. http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_004.htm

Same price + free shipping from Midway USA.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2689158466?pid=158466

I have had a 1" Ultradot mounted on my 10-22 for years with no issues. The bullseye guys slide mount them on 1911s and a ton of hunters run the Ultra dots on magnum handguns.

Cons: They are old tech and have poor battery life compared to newer dots plus no auto off/on. Bring spare batteries to your daughter's matches. Leave the included rings in the box. The silver finish is prone to scuffing.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-25-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Maybe this will help your search...

https://sageratsafaris.com/master-li...battle-sights/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I think the problem you're going to have is using your scope rings on many of the 30mm red dots. Most are designed for a single mount point not two like a scope.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Vortex Venom. Made in Philippines not China. Can find prices ranging $179 on sale to around $250 most places. 3 or 6 MOA options. They are perfect for rimfire, using it on mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    You could take a look at primary arms as well.

It does have a 2 moa dot though... and batteries not what you prefer
    Thanks... the 2moa dot and the oddball batteries aren't quite deal breakers, but I do want to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Ultradot 30. Made in Japan...
    This is really appealing... Especially their "Matchdot" with the switchable dot size.

(I know that having multiple reticles is sooo 2007, but it seems like a great idea to me, especially for my first red dot. I wish I could find a Bushnell CQTS for <$250 or a newish Nikon VSD...)

Also, I like the idea of the "target turret" on the Ultradot-6: Given that this is a .22lr, and we might want to shoot it out to 75 or 100yds, being able to quickly dial in 4" or 6" of drop would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I think the problem you're going to have is using your scope rings on many of the 30mm red dots. Most are designed for a single mount point not two like a scope.
    In that case, I'll just use one ring, right?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Vortex Venom.
    I want a "closed" red dot... We shoot in drizzle or dust, a lot, and exposed lenses seems like a bad idea.

Also, the closed sights seem like they'd be more durable/bump-resistant.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast