Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safes

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unless you are putting it on a concrete slab, pay close attention to weight and what you are going to fill it up with. You could easily run into floor loading issues if you are not careful.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I worry way more about fire than I do theft...then again I've never had a break in & my home did burn up when I was in the 3rd grade & Dad lost all his guns.

Got big dogs / alarm, someone is almost always home & got good nosy neighbors...telling ya, it's fire that sucks as most crooks want in/out ASAP!! I have a pretty neat safe I found in a downtown warehouse that cost me more to move than what I paid. When the mover finally got it up on the HD dolly & was wenching it from garage to trailer, the wheels started plowing the asphalt & busted his whole set up. Had to come back days later with a new plan & man power. The hinges on my B&F are like a small broom handle vs a beer can on the Robust. I can't find any history on it & comes from Pretoria S. Africa...the D&T holes on the top for eye bolts / lift are at least and inch OD & my safe guy thinks it was made for storing diamonds. TL-30 & estimates are 4000-5000lbs. Walls are like 5" think & door is heavier than most standard safes.
    Had a buddy whose 'free' safe ended up being a white elephant, almost literally...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Had a buddy whose 'free' safe ended up being a white elephant, almost literally...
    My guy said it was worth 10k to 12k...told him to find a buyer & I'll get another b&f...still waiting. I mostly worry about the occasional visitors fingers getting caught in the door. You cannot stop momentum.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I worry way more about fire than I do theft...then again I've never had a break in & my home did burn up when I was in the 3rd grade & Dad lost all his guns.

Got big dogs / alarm, someone is almost always home & got good nosy neighbors...telling ya, it's fire that sucks as most crooks want in/out ASAP!! I have a pretty neat safe I found in a downtown warehouse that cost me more to move than what I paid. When the mover finally got it up on the HD dolly & was wenching it from garage to trailer, the wheels started plowing the asphalt & busted his whole set up. Had to come back days later with a new plan & man power. The hinges on my B&F are like a small broom handle vs a beer can on the Robust. I can't find any history on it & comes from Pretoria S. Africa...the D&T holes on the top for eye bolts / lift are at least and inch OD & my safe guy thinks it was made for storing diamonds. TL-30 & estimates are 4000-5000lbs. Walls are like 5" think & door is heavier than most standard safes.
    Sounds like a composite TL30x6. The door should be at least as thick as the walls if it’s a TL30x6. Also, the estimate you received would be for a new safe. A used reconditioned safe like that would be $4-8k depending upon size. Unless it’s a TRTL30x6 and then it may be more like $8-12k.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 10-27-20 at 06:39.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

I think the Cannon is great for the money.

PB
    After the fire I called them to see what was the best way to get into mine. After the rep made his suggestions he asked me to fax in some kind of proof of purchase and photos before and after opening. A few months go by and I get a call from a trucking company wanting to schedule a delivery. I was confused, okay nothing unusual, as I wasn't expecting anything. The driver backed down the driveway to drop off a replacement safe. The documentation said it was a warranty replacement for unit destroyed by fire.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    double
    Last edited by Artos; 10-27-20 at 12:52.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seems to be solid steel construction & walls are around 4" thick & door is thicker. It's dated back in the 80's if I recall & have only the TL30 UL reference. My safe guy says it could possibly have asbestos sandwiched in but he has never seen or heard of one. Robust by Bishoff. Took one heck of a boat ride to end up on the border.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Sounds like a composite TL30x6. The door should be at least as thick as the walls if it’s a TL30x6. Also, the estimate you received would be for a new safe. A used reconditioned safe like that would be $4-8k depending upon size. Unless it’s a TRTL30x6 and then it may be more like $8-12k.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123