Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1913 made Colt MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY

Feedback Score

1913 made Colt MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY

I bought this finishless 1913 Colt 1911 last month. Despite being in the white, the metal was in very good condition, the markings still deep and crisp, no soft edges were apparent and the grips were in good condition for 100 years old wood.

I had decided to have it professionally re-blued. Not an easy decision for such an old gun, but I felt that the originality and serious collectibility was gone once some previous owner had totally removed the finish; I guess there was some corrosion, although there is no apparent deep pitting, and someone decided to refinish it rather than just treat the areas affected, but did not finish the job (pun intended).

(Minimal) prepping was $ 90 and blueing was $ 220

Anyway it came back for the shop and here it is

Before

After

Feedback Score

With its 1943 descendant

I am happy with the result. Whilst not an original 1913, it’s still a pretty and eye pleasing gun to me and a testimonial to a glorious design that lasted and stayed relevant for so long.

I won’t shoot it, as I also stopped shooting the A1 after abt 50 rounds, couldn’t resist.

Feedback Score
    I did try to find as many pictures of this particular year and model to have a good idea of how it should look

Here are two pictures I found of a very well preserved original

And here is a Turnbull restoration

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mein Gott, you have some truly nice weapons between the rifles and pistols you've shared with us! These two pistols are very, very nice. They would make any man jealous.

Bravo!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thats very cool. And it is amazing how a 100 year old gun is state of the art weaponry.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing. A good 1911 is a comfort !!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I could not have done it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You'd need a five gallon bucket to catch all my drool...
    "Adrenaline + tunnel vision + a little disbelief = that John Wayne moment" - Firefly

Feedback Score
    While I generally caution against refinishing this example came out pretty good

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I once fired a 1911 of that same vintage (1913). Back then I wasn't as well versed in handgun shooting but I was observant enough to notice how remarkable the fit and finish of the individual specimen I handled was.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast