Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Press Checks (Moved from French Army Selects G17 thread)

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This reminds me of the tritium threads. Maybe my eyes are abnormally good, but I can see things just fine in the dark. Seeing brass in the chamber would not be an issue. If it was that dark, id stick a finger in there.... then start feeling my way out of wherever I was, or feeling for a light switch, haha.

Also, with glocks I can see a round in there without retracting the slide.
    Yep, or just pull the trigger and if there is a loud noise and bright flash, IT WAS LOADED.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But is it still loaded? Better pull the trigger again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Why are you loading in the dark? I can't foresee that being a common situation. In addition, if a press check is so crucial, why does no one practice a press check after a reload? It would stand to reason that ensuring your pistol is loaded might be most important during use, and yet no one press checks after a reload, or between each shot for that matter. So if you trust your gun to load, fire, extract, eject, from first round to last during use, why wouldn't you trust it during an admin load??
    Through all my training it was drilled in us that we should use the same procedures for chambering of a round whether day or night so we were taught to put your finger in to feel the round and since you cant see a round in the dark you need more of a tactile option. Now with an ar you can check the top round in the mag and after chambering a round drop the mag and make sure the round is on the opposite side. This can be done in the dark as well as light but i also use the finger in ejection port for an ar too.

As to the not knowing why part, i would imagine that you are far more likely to have a firearm related instance in the dark ie bump in the night and it isnt wise to cut on the light for a few seconds to verify you have one chambered. But hey to each their own.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Through all my training it was drilled in us that we should use the same procedures for chambering of a round whether day or night so we were taught to put your finger in to feel the round and since you cant see a round in the dark you need more of a tactile option. Now with an ar you can check the top round in the mag and after chambering a round drop the mag and make sure the round is on the opposite side. This can be done in the dark as well as light but i also use the finger in ejection port for an ar too.

As to the not knowing why part, i would imagine that you are far more likely to have a firearm related instance in the dark ie bump in the night and it isnt wise to cut on the light for a few seconds to verify you have one chambered. But hey to each their own.
    I agree that a tactile check is the most consistent way to execute a press check. What I'm still somewhat confused at, taking your example above is this. If there's a bump in the night, why isn't the firearm already loaded???

I'll ask this again. If press checks are important, why does no one do a press check after an emergency reload, or even a tactical reload? Why don't we do press checks between shots?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll ask this again. If press checks are important, why does no one do a press check after an emergency reload, or even a tactical reload? Why don't we do press checks between shots?
    I suppose it is to check for a nominally functional magazine, and that magazines don't usually fail in the middle of the stack unless damaged from without? The spring is under greatest strain when fully loaded.

Feedback Score
    Will press checking while wearing a covid 19 mask ad yet another level of self assurance?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I suppose it is to check for a nominally functional magazine, and that magazines don't usually fail in the middle of the stack unless damaged from without? The spring is under greatest strain when fully loaded.
    Magazine springs are constant force springs. There's no difference from first round to last. Regardless, why not press check between rounds or after an emergency reload?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Magazine springs are constant force springs. There's no difference from first round to last.
    How is that possible? Why does the first round go in so much easier than the last? (Friction?)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    How is that possible? Why does the first round go in so much easier than the last? (Friction?)
    Well the slide reciprocating creates momentum for one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Well the slide reciprocating creates momentum for one
    I meant how is a constant-force magazine spring possible?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast