Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Press Checks (Moved from French Army Selects G17 thread)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Because it's dark for (on average) half the day, everywhere.

Yeah, 50% of the time is pretty uncommon. I can't remember the last time it got dark out.

You need to get out more. I see people perform presschecks all the time after performing drills, including during reloads. It's like a "tactical" reload: You do it when time and opportunity presents itself.

If you trust your gun to never fail from first round to last round over thousands or tens of thousands of rounds, you need to shoot more.

It's an admin load and you obviously don't spend much time dealing with real people in the real world where people fail to seat magazines all the damned time, yank their charging handle or rack their slide, and chamber empty air.

People ride slide locks, followers and columns of ammunition get stuck, springs break, magazines fail, ammunition manufacturers dump less powder in some cartridges, and shit just happens.

The two loudest noises in the world are a bang when you expect a click and a click when you expect a bang and a two-second chamber check can prevent you from experiencing either.
    Best post I've read in awhile.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    All of MountainRavens points aside, if you have to learn one method to clear/safe or verify loaded, isn't it easier to learn something that works day or night?

My first 2 or 3 day Defensive Handgun class we learned 1 method that worked day or night. For example, to clear/safe the pistol, remove mag. Rack 3 times. Pinky in mag hole, check for mag. Pinky on breach face for round hung up, and then into chamber to clear. Done. Weapon is safe day or night.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    All of MountainRavens points aside, if you have to learn one method to clear/safe or verify loaded, isn't it easier to learn something that works day or night?

My first 2 or 3 day Defensive Handgun class we learned 1 method that worked day or night. For example, to clear/safe the pistol, remove mag. Rack 3 times. Pinky in mag hole, check for mag. Pinky on breach face for round hung up, and then into chamber to clear. Done. Weapon is safe day or night.
    I don't want my weapon "safe" If my weapon is safe it's holstered, otherwise .....
    Last edited by Uncas47; 10-08-20 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    I honestly don't mean to be an asshole here, check the chamber anyway you like, revolve the situation to your satisfaction, holster or shoot the weapon day or night. When it comes to methods, place your bets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Because it's dark for (on average) half the day, everywhere.

Yeah, 50% of the time is pretty uncommon. I can't remember the last time it got dark out.

You need to get out more. I see people perform presschecks all the time after performing drills, including during reloads. It's like a "tactical" reload: You do it when time and opportunity presents itself.

If you trust your gun to never fail from first round to last round over thousands or tens of thousands of rounds, you need to shoot more.

It's an admin load and you obviously don't spend much time dealing with real people in the real world where people fail to seat magazines all the damned time, yank their charging handle or rack their slide, and chamber empty air.

People ride slide locks, followers and columns of ammunition get stuck, springs break, magazines fail, ammunition manufacturers dump less powder in some cartridges, and shit just happens.

The two loudest noises in the world are a bang when you expect a click and a click when you expect a bang and a two-second chamber check can prevent you from experiencing either.
    Let me explain it again.

1. Why are you performing an admin reload in the dark? Why is the firearm not already loaded? Why is it necessary to load without the use of artificial light? The uncommon part is why you're loading your pistol(or rifle) in the dark with the need to remain "dark".

2. Doing a press check after a drill is not what I was referring to, although it is just as stupid. What I'm asking is why no one press checks between shots, or why no one press checks after a reload during a gunfight? I've linked a few videos below with MIL and LEO's in gunfights, and not one person does a press check after a reload.... Strange. I've also linked some training vids from former SF folks and they also don't press check nor discuss it....Strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Yfj24jpWU&t=364s Start at 6:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhoP161gpWM&t=485s Start at 1:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvhO9Ki0Uw Start at 0:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KKSHsZt6Lg Watch the whole video, several reloads, not one press check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CgwTzC79A Start at 2:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zdT1n6xq4 Start at 0:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fF3id2XAM Watch it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3hdFteZonc Watch it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUT7tJI2So Here's one with a rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg6vl3VUQb4 Watch it all

3. I trust my firearms to work as intended, because I trust the engineering that went into them. Do I practice IA drills and RA drills? Absolutely. Do I think my pistol or rifle will somehow not load as designed unless I work the action(possibly inducing a stoppage) to look/feel for brass? NO. Does it make sense to press check here and there, but not every time I load or shoot? NO. Doing so is akin to wearing your seatbelt only when you think it's dangerous to drive. Or to only carry your gun when you think you're going to be in a dangerous area.

4. All loads are administrative. Loading isn't putting bullets on target, therefore it isn't a martial skill. It is an administrative skill that SUPPORTS the martial skill of putting bullets on target. Failing to seat a magazine is not corrected by doing a press check. Unseated magazines are prevented by loading properly, with many repetitions in training and practice. If your gun fails to fire do you not TAP RACK?? That solves most problems, and it doesn't involve a press check, why? If press checks are so important then you should do one after you've executed your IA (TAP RACK) should you not?

5. Not sure how riding the slide catch has anything to do with reloading? I will address it though. Regardless of slide position, a reload should involve using the slide to chamber a round. Use of the slide every time a magazine is inserted will ensure a round is chambered.

Magazines can fail, that is partially on the user to monitor and repair or replace as needed. Springs break, rarely. Not a lot you can do to prevent it. If you're trying to say that the mag spring could fail just as you load your pistol; I will say that is fantasyland "what if" paranoia that serves only to sell your talking point, not reflect reality.

The whole "two loudest sounds" bullshit is so over played and cliche. Preventing a NEGLIGENT discharge is accomplished by not pointing a firearm at anything you are not comfortable with destroying and KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU'VE MADE THE CONSCIOUS DECISION TO FIRE. Preventing an unloaded chamber situation is accomplished by properly loading your firearm and practicing that skill repeatedly. Again, I reference the handful of videos I linked, some of which show MIL or LE folks IN A GUNFIGHT and not one executes a press check....
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 10-10-20 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    I have trained with the French Marines (Troupes de Marine) and the Foreign Legion and they were always the consummate professionals. They are even trusted with beer and wine in the field. I'm glad to see them upgrade their handgun choice.
    My only experience with the French armed forces was sharing a bottle of wine with a french army veteran and his friends in a cafe while I was visiting Paris with my wife. He was quite friendly, even more so when I identified myself as a USAF veteran. The wine was excellent as well!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Mechanical devices fail. An extractor or an LCI can break or get stuck leading someone to believe a unloaded pistol is loaded or vise versa. Best practice is to physically and visually check the chamber when possible.
    Yep, visually check always.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalAF View Post
    Yep, visually check always.
    How do you visually check in the dark??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    How do you visually check in the dark??
    Very carefully

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post