Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing comp/FH . . . does amount of torque affect accuracy?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Well the barrel ID isn't going to "spring back" to original ID dimension. It's steel.
    That depends on whether the strain exceeded the elastic deformation limit of the material.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The barrel muzzle threads are not 90 degree to bore/barrel, but are angled to allow MD to be twisted onto barrel- to contact washer and tighten MD to barrel.
    Why wouldn't the threads be cut square to the bore? Are you describing a tapered thread?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Look at threads.

If you screw a MD on barrel, sans washer, and watch MD under mag you’ll see it contacts barrel shoulder in one area first.
    I’m a lousy described, but that’s how threads work.
    If threads were perfectly square to bore they’d be concentric rings, the MD would just spin, not tighten.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting Ned data. I avoid excessive torque anyways, but that's quite impressive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I see stopping at 20lbs on a flash hider/brake, what about a suppressor mount? You go any further for it or just rocksett and 20lbs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The only one I tested was one of many I had around that looked the same. Not surprised that JP came up with a solution, dang smart people there, and I'll check it and the Armageddon too. Not promising a test but let's see if I can make it happen.
    I'd love to see it if it's something you could ever get around to. It would be very interesting to see if those two different designs actually work as advertised.

I've had mixed experiences with standard crush washers. Some don't seem to want to actually crush with any reasonable amount of torque and others seem to crush much closer to the 15-20 foot pound torque spec... At least somewhere under 30 foot pounds just guessing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Is all of this true with no washer at all, like an un-timed suppressor mount?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Old time Service Rifle smiths such as Compass Lake Engineering or White Oak have known for decades that excessive torque on muzzle devices negatively affected accuracy, why they usually tighten to 10-15 foot pounds and sometimes use a non permanent lock tite to prevent loosening. Suspect its also true if no washer is used, as stress is ultimately transmitted via threads to the barrel.

Mark

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have washers coming from both JP and Armageddon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I have washers coming from both JP and Armageddon!
    Well this might be awesome!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast