Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One of these two 1911’s for my first?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

One of these two 1911’s for my first?

I’m looking at two different 1911’s available used right now locally, a Kimber Custom Shop Combat Carry, and a Colt Mark IV. Both are priced in my price range at $900. Should I be considering one over the other for any particular reason? Should I pass on both in favor of something else?

I’m leaning toward the Colt to be honest, but this will be my first 1911 and I fully confess that I don’t know much about them other than that I want one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "COME AND TAKE IT"

NRA Endowment Life Member
    Texas State Rifle Association

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "COME AND TAKE IT"

NRA Endowment Life Member
    Texas State Rifle Association

Feedback Score
    Even though I don't know you or really care what you buy, I recommend buying a brand new 1911 for one's first 1911 (with few exceptions).

Although any new popular or desirable firearm may be hard to get right now, look over Springfield-Armory's product line to narrow it down to what features you're wanting and get back to here if you still can't decide. If a 1911 doesn't work right it can take several months or longer and easily eat up another $900, paid to a, hopefully, good gunsmith.

There's no way for anyone to determine which used 1911 to buy of those two without a knowledgeable person examining &/or shooting those guns in person.

Also, I personally don't care for Kimber "series II" or Colt "series 80" firing pin safety systems, not to say those two have them as I can't tell if they do.

Below, is Springfield-Armory's 1911 website.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...ries-handguns/
    Last edited by L-2; 10-26-20 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would get the Colt out of the two.

But for a first 1911 for me I got a Springfield Mil Spec...decent cost and a good learning tool.

Feedback Score
    I agree with L2's post and add Springfield's CS is excellent and they will fix their 1911 pistols if you do have a problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I agree with L2's post and add Springfield's CS is excellent and they will fix their 1911 pistols if you do have a problem.
    Totally agree that Springfield's CS is second to none. I've owned 2 Springfield's and two Colts. Both of the Springers needed to use their excellent CS. The Colts didn't need anything and I still have the Colt .38 super which I have used and abused for 8 years now. Springfield did correct the problems and they returned working 100% but I don't have them anymore.
    Good luck in your decision !

Feedback Score
    I'd pass on the Kimber. Their quality control has really been up and down over the years. I have an okay one from one of their peaks, but have seen quite a few troublesome ones over the years. The Colt will also have it's own issues but, generally, be within "fixable" specs. A 5" gun is always going to be more reliable than a shorter 1911. $900 is pretty steep for either, in my opinion.

I had always advised starting with something inexpensive, like a Springfield Mil-Spec, until I began building 1911s. They may run alright, they may have some major problems. Spending a little more to go with the Springfield Loaded or higher models will get you into their better production line guns.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Of the two- Colt. All day long.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    The Colt would be easier to resell later on if you decide to go a different direction. Since this is your first one there is a good chance you will buy another one after you've had a chance shoot it and learn it capabilities.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Colt or Springfield.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast