Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One of these two 1911’s for my first?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Pretty simple to change a series 80 to 70 using filler plate:

The several I've done I change out hammer to 70 series as well.
    The 80 series hammer has a "shelf" rather than half cock notch. While it may retain the hammer if it slips while lowering it (for whatever reason one may attempt this), it isn't designed to capture hammer as a half cock notch.

I've never cared for Titanium FPs for what that's worth.
    Had one in a 9mm SA Range Something- that was a PITA. Had issues with primer flow which would tie up the FP, producing FTF.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If this is a gun that will be carried or used for HD, neither. Sorry to rain on the parade, but telling you honestly what I'd do. Kimber is blech, overpriced unreliable gucci guns. Colt is better, but they typically have issues to fix out of the box, and besides that, you don't want a series 80, you want a series 70.

If trying to buy on budget, 2 options:
    * Springfield (In ascending order of cost/features/reliability: Milspec, Loaded Operator, TRP)
    * Dan Wesson (look at Vigil series)

Feedback Score
    Not to muddy the waters with more choices, but I have seen several Ruger SR1911 and they looked good to me and also have good customer service if you have a problem.

Feedback Score
    gaijin, thanks for the thoro' comeback and explanation; I've a Black Army and a Gold Cup that are series 70, but doubt I'll change anything else; triggers are good enough for my own entertainment.
    That Turk 1911 I mentioned is Series 70; one of these days I'll pull the firing pin and see if a magnet sticks. It has a decent trigger.
    A buddy has Smith & Wesson 1911 that is a real sweetheart.
    Personally, only carry striker guns.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Not to muddy the waters with more choices, but I have seen several Ruger SR1911 and they looked good to me and also have good customer service if you have a problem.
    I have 2 Ruger 1911's, a .45 and a 9 MM. They are good trouble free handguns, & I'll buy a couple more when supply catches up with demand. I've shot a number of Brands, including Les Baer's , and Ruger gives you a good handgun for the money.

Feedback Score
    I'd get a used Ruger, myself and testfire before buying. Id NEVER buy a milspec, cause you'll end up spending another $1000 fixing all of its shortcomings and you wont get much, if any of that money back if you ever sell it. For $600, or maybe less, you can get a Ruger with all of the bells and whistles already done. A Sig 1911 might be A-ok, too, But I'd buy nothing without testfiring it and I'd never pay $900 for anything without the ducktail grip safety, speed lever on thumb safety, trigger job with stop, enlarged ejection port, feed ramp properly shaped for swc ammo, beveled mag well, big sights. You will get socked by a smith when you want to add that stuff (and you will, if you care about being able to hit swiftly. If you think you might actually carry it , get an alloy 4" barrel 'commander' variant and consider getting it in 9mm, cause (normally, virus messed up everything) 9mm practice-ball ammo is 1/3rd less money than .45 ACP ammo.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I thought it was a hundred bucks and an hour?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I thought it was a hundred bucks and an hour?

for what?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123