Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Second hand ammo

Feedback Score
    Bought some more the last couple of month

Feedback Score
    The original seller also had some loading components. Guess I’ll dust off the press and crank out a few thousand rounds

Anyone knows shelf life of primers ? This is from the sixties mostly

Feedback Score
    2022 update (new ammo)

It seems that the huge demand in the US is slowly raising prices here in Switzerland as well.

In October 2020 I bought several thousands of Winchester 9 mm ammo for $ 215.-/1000.

The same ammo then jumped to $ 248.-/1000 in the summer of 2021. I found another source and bought 30’000 rounds of 124 gr Sellier & Bellot for $ 222.-/1000 for the whole shooting club. I drove 400 miles to pick it up, as shipping would have added another $ 400.- to the bill. Needless to say we shot it all in the summer and fall and it is now out of stock at the LGS.

So today I went to one of the big LGS to check prices and availability. I was hoping to buy some of this cheap ($ 390.-/1000) 7.62 X 39 for my new AK. Out of stock.

So instead I took 2000 rounds of Geco at $ 540.-/1000, 2000 rds of the 9 mm Winchester for $ 248.-/1000, and grabbed 2000 rds of repackaged milsurp 5.56 NATO 62 gr at $ 435.- / 1000.

I also asked them if I could buy 30’000 rounds of the Win 9mm for the club, and at what price. He mentioned the owner might agree to a $ 5.-/1000 discount IF he agrees to let go of 30’000 rounds. I’ll check in tomorrow.

I’ve read the article on Vista and how higher prices mean higher margins for them and it’s unlikely prices will come down anytime soon. I also need to figure out how much I have and how much I need for the rest of my shooting career, so I can stop buying someday (I’m 53 so I hope to shoot for a good 20-25 more years).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    I also need to figure out how much I have and how much I need for the rest of my shooting career, so I can stop buying someday (I’m 53 so I hope to shoot for a good 20-25 more years).

I actually maintain an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of how much ammo I have. (I do the same for reloading components.) I also track when and for how much I bought it...

I have 10-15 different calibers (depending on how I count), and over 50,000rnds altogether. (It's more rimfire than anything.) I'm 47 years old, and I figure I have at least a 10+ year supply of everything (including reloading components).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I actually maintain an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of how much ammo I have. (I do the same for reloading components.) I also track when and for how much I bought it...

I have 10-15 different calibers (depending on how I count), and over 50,000rnds altogether. (It's more rimfire than anything.) I'm 47 years old, and I figure I have at least a 10+ year supply of everything (including reloading components).
    I struggle enough to keep my guns spreadsheet updated, I couldn’t do it for ammo. Especially the outgoing (shooting part). I generally take 4-6 guns to the rifle, with different calibers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    I struggle enough to keep my guns spreadsheet updated, I couldn’t do it for ammo. Especially the outgoing (shooting part).

I'm not counting every round (or every primer, case, or projectile), but usually by the box or brick or case.

Generally I only count unopened boxes/bricks/cases, and at least that's a gauge of how much "reserve" I have (nevermind opened boxes/cases, or rounds loaded in mags or whatever).

I'm anal-retentive enough that I write a few notes on every gun at every outing. It only takes an extra minute to "sign out" ammo from the stockpile, as needed (or to update with increases, when I buy/load more).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm not counting every round (or every primer, case, or projectile), but usually by the box or brick or case.

Generally I only count unopened boxes/bricks/cases, and at least that's a gauge of how much "reserve" I have (nevermind opened boxes/cases, or rounds loaded in mags or whatever).

I'm anal-retentive enough that I write a few notes on every gun at every outing. It only takes an extra minute to "sign out" ammo from the stockpile, as needed (or to update with increases, when I buy/load more).
    All right that makes sense

I just count closed boxes of some of the main calibers I use, like 9 mm & 7.65 mm Parabellum, 5.56, .38/.357 & .44, to have an idea

Feedback Score
    Switzerland has a lot of shooting associations with outdoor ranges which are supported by the various counties. Those are non profit setups and allow citizens to hone their shooting skills outside of their military service, both for rifles (300 meters) and pistols (25 and 50 meters). Soldiers can also do their qualification shooting at those ranges.

The army provides ammo, GP 11 (7.5 Swiss) & GP 90 (5.56 NATO) for rifles and 7.65 & 9 mm parabellum for pistols, all at 35 cents per round. The clubs put their orders in in December and pick up their ammo in February, before the start of the season, which runs from March to October.

I picked up 4000 9mm and 8000 7.65mm for my club at the army arsenal.

86 associations pick up their order over two days, so there is some stock there

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I missed the pictures last May. What is the difference between Hirtenberg and Hirtenberger?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I missed the pictures last May. What is the difference between Hirtenberg and Hirtenberger?
    I don’t think there is one, but I have no idea why they used both names, of if they changed / shortened it at some point

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast