Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Border Patrol's Heavy Patrol Rifle M14

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

US Border Patrol's Heavy Patrol Rifle M14

Here's a photo of one of the M14s still being used by the United States Border Patrol. This one was made by Winchester.

The barrel has been cut to 18" and the barrel is capped with a Vortex flash hider. The stock is a VLTOR and the hand guard is a USGI that's been painted tan to match. Other mods include the addition of a Sadlak extended/widened mag release and an extended bolt stop. Not sure who the bolt stop is from. Probably SEI.

The optic pictured is a Night Force ATACR 1-8 variable.

These heavy patrol rifles (HPRs) have been in use since about 2009-2010 in one form or another. The rifle shown here is actually a "Gen 2" version. The previous model was also cut to 18" but used the old Troy railed stock and handguard. I also posted this over on TOS but figured it was worth a thread over here as well.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. "made by Winchester" as in current production/not from surplus M14s??

That would be fun to mess with. I've been shooting Pappabears LMTs for so long, it would be fun to see how they compared.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Interesting. "made by Winchester" as in current production/not from surplus M14s??
    USGI original rifles.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I guess if you have barreled receivers for basically 'free', I can see it; but with AR10s or ar15 with the right cartridge, I don't see starting from '0' and going this way. Cool gun, no doubt- and you can't really fold a stock on an AR10 very well...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I guess if you have barreled receivers for basically 'free', I can see it; but with AR10s or ar15 with the right cartridge, I don't see starting from '0' and going this way. Cool gun, no doubt- and you can't really fold a stock on an AR10 very well...
    Stocks don't fold but comb height can be adjusted. I don't think I've ever seen a hinge on a VLTOR stock.

Yes. Guns were free and already in use in some sectors albeit in stock configuration.

Overall the general consensus is that an AR10 of some type would have been more popular among agents. But the M14 is fine. Weight is what really kills it. As pictured the rifle is something like twelve pounds. An AR10 would be slightly lighter but probably not enough to really make a huge difference.

Feedback Score
    Are these SEI conversions? Like they did for the military?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are these SEI conversions? Like they did for the military?
    Nope. They were all modified by the DHS armory in Pennsylvania.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I worked for the US Border Patrol, Havre MT sector HQ in 2001. We had our own indoor range and a small armory. I was surprised to see M14s in the armory. They were straight USGI weapons, no modifications.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nope. They were all modified by the DHS armory in Pennsylvania.
    My would that be a cool-as-fvck job to have! (assuming you didn't mind living in PA of course). Play with and work on cool guns, Fed bennies, retirement, oh yeah! The kind of job you could actually look forward to going into each morning.

I looked it up. Sounds like a cool job. Of course you'd have to live in Altoona, PA or that surrounding area.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-27-20 at 18:12.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had an NM M1A and took to SEI and upgraded everything I could. It was a bad bad boy, laser beam too. Had Leupold scope.....

Obama made that gun too valuable and had to let it go. It was def cool and hefty.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast