Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Border Patrol's Heavy Patrol Rifle M14

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a photo of one of the M14s still being used by the United States Border Patrol. This one was made by Winchester.

The barrel has been cut to 18" and the barrel is capped with a Vortex flash hider. The stock is a VLTOR and the hand guard is a USGI that's been painted tan to match. Other mods include the addition of a Sadlak extended/widened mag release and an extended bolt stop. Not sure who the bolt stop is from. Probably SEI.

The optic pictured is a Night Force ATACR 1-8 variable.

These heavy patrol rifles (HPRs) have been in use since about 2009-2010 in one form or another. The rifle shown here is actually a "Gen 2" version. The previous model was also cut to 18" but used the old Troy railed stock and handguard. I also posted this over on TOS but figured it was worth a thread over here as well.
    I qualified with one in stocks configuration and irons just last year and found it to be very awkward/difficult to use with a modern plate carrier. Seems like these modifications would make the rifle more user-friendly in the modern era.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think they are setting them up right, I like the Vltor over the Sage, the Sadlak mag release, SEI bolt release and Tangodown pistol grip are all good upgrades. The SEI bolt release is a big improvement IMO, works much better than jacking the bolt handle to chamber a round. If you have to use a M14 that is a good way to set it up.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 10-30-20 at 22:01.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorta actually kinda want to replicate this.

Like a Cyberpunk M14K. I have no interest in FALs or G3s (owned both). Kinda miss the M14 despite it sucking. The AR10 is the light and the way but...

Something like OP but with a TA33 or TA11 would be a badass little Vic chopper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it looks awful, I like the traditional wood look but to each their own

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I think it looks awful, I like the traditional wood look but to each their own
    But I have carried a longpike wood stock M14 as a work gun before. It was way too long for LE use.

I won’t argue the classic M14 is pretty but I would rather have something more wieldly.

I WILL say that hearing ol buddy on a felony stop say “Oh sheeeyit!” Upon seeing that M14 was chicken soup for the soul.

But naw, I’m older and lazier and want something short with an optic.

Actually an LMT MWS 13.5 would rule the school if LMT would get off their asses. I like their stuff but they seriously need to get back on track. I applaud these contracts they get but don’t forget about the people who wanna buy yo stuff

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    But I have carried a longpike wood stock M14 as a work gun before. It was way too long for LE use.

I won’t argue the classic M14 is pretty but I would rather have something more wieldly.

I WILL say that hearing ol buddy on a felony stop say “Oh sheeeyit!” Upon seeing that M14 was chicken soup for the soul.

But naw, I’m older and lazier and want something short with an optic.

Actually an LMT MWS 13.5 would rule the school if LMT would get off their asses. I like their stuff but they seriously need to get back on track. I applaud these contracts they get but don’t forget about the people who wanna buy yo stuff

amen to that!

I hear you and get it. I just think the wood classic look is so damn sexy. I like a cutdown 16" similar to what Schuffs does; this I could get into!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Man oh man. I just sold off 2xSA M1a's this past March. One was a 16" Socom in a VLTOR stock. I had a bunch of USGI stocks as well along with a decent amount of mags. I just never shot the damn things. Now I kinda want them back after seeing this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorta actually kinda want to replicate this.

Like a Cyberpunk M14K. I have no interest in FALs or G3s (owned both). Kinda miss the M14 despite it sucking. The AR10 is the light and the way but...

Something like OP but with a TA33 or TA11 would be a badass little Vic chopper.
    Gun Parts Corp has 18.5" barrels on sale if you were wanting to clone the USBP rifle. Add a Smith direct connect Vortex and you'd be pretty close to having it done.

VLTOR has since changed the M14 stock but it by and large looks the same. I haven't weighed the new vs old but VLTOR says the new one is lighter. Always a good thing when dealing with a rifle like this!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Gun Parts Corp has 18.5" barrels on sale if you were wanting to clone the USBP rifle. Add a Smith direct connect Vortex and you'd be pretty close to having it done.

VLTOR has since changed the M14 stock but it by and large looks the same. I haven't weighed the new vs old but VLTOR says the new one is lighter. Always a good thing when dealing with a rifle like this!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I don’t necessarily want a clone but just something a little different that isn’t a SCAR or some other fruity fairy Eurogun made by people whose asses we either kicked or saved in the 20th Century.

I’ll probably just get a Springfield squad scout and a Vltor and a SEI vortex and a TA33 and call it good. Not in a panic, hurry, nor rush.

It’s probably super boomercore and borderline fudd but I just want something different yet with relatively easily sourced parts. Plus I had more fun with the M14. Everybody going on about FALs and HK91s must be shooting different guns or taking different pills or X than I am because neither was that great to me and I had both. They did okay but were meh. Just different to be different.

Now the M14 is NOT my idea of fun to clean or detail strip and is woefully obsolete but idc, didn’t ask opinions, plus most of you are normies.

Anyways thanks Tokarev for the good info

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don’t necessarily want a clone but just something a little different that isn’t a SCAR or some other fruity fairy Eurogun made by people whose asses we either kicked or saved in the 20th Century.

I’ll probably just get a Springfield squad scout and a Vltor and a SEI vortex and a TA33 and call it good. Not in a panic, hurry, nor rush.

It’s probably super boomercore and borderline fudd but I just want something different yet with relatively easily sourced parts. Plus I had more fun with the M14. Everybody going on about FALs and HK91s must be shooting different guns or taking different pills or X than I am because neither was that great to me and I had both. They did okay but were meh. Just different to be different.

Now the M14 is NOT my idea of fun to clean or detail strip and is woefully obsolete but idc, didn’t ask opinions, plus most of you are normies.

Anyways thanks Tokarev for the good info
    what is a normie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast