Thread: New Colt - Ejector Problem.

Feedback Score

New Colt - Ejector Problem.

New Colt 6920. Went to the range today and shot 270 rounds of Federal 5.56 M193, (rifle now has 450 rds. though it total). It ran fine and ejection was normal at 3:00. At home, while cleaning the bolt I felt a sharp edge and noticed the ejector (not extractor) pin sticking up above the bolt surface. I have a 1/16" roll pin punch and tried tapping it down but not budging. Doesn't seem normal and don't remember it being like that before. I don't think it should be standing proud of the bolt.

Do these things walk out slightly on their own? Looked at the bolt on my $500 Anderson AM-15 with 1,000 round through it and the pin is recessed fully on both sides. I thought the Colt would be an upgrade.PXL_20201027_224030037.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It looks like the roll pin wasn't installed correctly. When the roll pin is installed, the ejector needs to be compressed. It looks like the pin wasn't lining up with the other set when you sent to set it.

I suggest driving the pin out and installing a new one. Yours appears damaged.

Installing a new roll pin isn't complicated. You just need to compress the ejector and get everything to line up before pressing the pin into place
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Looks to be a bad ejector.

It should not be "proud" of the bolt but flush with it. A SWAG is it's a faulty ejector without actually seeing it, stuff happens especially since the mass gun sales as of late. This is a 7.62 bolt but as you can see the ejector is flush with end of bolt as it should be.
    MistWolf, good eyes, I missed that crushed roll pin, reading on cellphone ��

Attachment 64152Attachment 64151
    Last edited by blade_68; 10-27-20 at 23:25.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Installing a new roll pin isn't complicated. You just need to compress the ejector and get everything to line up before pressing the pin into place
    Yeah. You could send it in and have Colt look at it, but I'd fix this myself.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This is definitely a "self fix" problem; no way I'd go through the drama of sending it back to Colt to sit in a pile of rifles for weeks / months before getting fixed.

My Colt CM762 came without a roll pin installed in the ambi bolt catch - I searched through my parts bin, found one that would work - <tap, tap, tap>.

Done deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvershooter View Post
    New Colt 6920. Went to the range today and shot 270 rounds of Federal 5.56 M193, (rifle now has 450 rds. though it total). It ran fine and ejection was normal at 3:00. At home, while cleaning the bolt I felt a sharp edge and noticed the ejector (not extractor) pin sticking up above the bolt surface. I have a 1/16" roll pin punch and tried tapping it down but not budging. Doesn't seem normal and don't remember it being like that before. I don't think it should be standing proud of the bolt.

Do these things walk out slightly on their own? Looked at the bolt on my $500 Anderson AM-15 with 1,000 round through it and the pin is recessed fully on both sides. I thought the Colt would be an upgrade.PXL_20201027_224030037.jpg
    Strip the bolt, inspect it, rebuild it properly. Colts QC has dropped over the years.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you don't have the tool to compress the ejector, you can improvise a set up. It's easy. Take a scrap piece of wood, like a 2 x 2, 3 or 4 inches long and drill a hole about the same size as the tail end of the bolt. use a small socket that just fits inside of the bolt face as a compression tool. put the pieces in your vise and compress the ejector. done it many times.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 11-07-20 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    If you don't have the tool to compress the ejector, you can improvise a set up. It's easy. Take a scrap piece of wood, like a 2 x 2, 3 or 4 inches long and drill a hole about the same size as the tail end of the bolt. use a small socket that just fits inside of the bolt face as a compression tool. put the pieces in your vise and compress the ejector. done it many times.
    ^^^ This is the way I did it until I got tired of screwing around. If you work on ARs a lot, Brownells has a bolt tool made by Sinclair that makes bolt repair easy. It's like $20.

If I were you, I'd replace the ejector, ejector spring, and the ejector retaining pin. It doesn't have to be a Colt ejector although Brownnells probably has them, I started buying LMT bolt parts from Primary Arms. They ship quickly.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the replies. Without the tool, I had a local gunsmith replaced the ejector, spring and pin a few weeks ago. He only charged me $20 and told me the pin had probably not been properly seated from the factory. I did find a photo I took of the bolt when I first purchased the gun. Looking at it, I noticed the pin was not fully seated from day one and as he said that is probably what caused it to walk out slightly after a few hundred rounds. In the meantime I also bought a new Colt bolt assembly from Midwayusa to keep as a spare.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like a smart move and a smith who's a keeper. Hope it works well for you.