Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My first AR: 7.62x39 with Superlative Piston kit - Learning from failure...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

My first AR: 7.62x39 with Superlative Piston kit - Learning from failure...

I have never, ever heard of a round going off when chambering. In Iraq, the only negligent discharge that happened were from pulling a trigger on a loaded chamber with the safety off. I heard about several m-16’s, M9 pistol, m2 machine gun and mk19 weapon.
    The clearing barrels were at the gates and the entrance to the chow hall.
    Not saying it’s impossible, but nearly.

My dad recently bought one of the cheap bear creek 7.62x39 uppers. I had him get one of the (red x?) dedicated firing pins and it runs fine.
    Last edited by czgunner; 01-12-21 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    My dad recently bought one of the cheap bear creek 7.62x39 uppers. I had him get one of the (red x?) dedicated firing pins and it runs fine.
    I put one on my M16 and it runs 100% reliably.

Feedback Score
    I heard about this possibility and I saw a video of it once, so I chambered the same round 10 times at the range to see if I could get it to go off. Nope. That said, having knowledge of the slim possibility of detonation has significantly altered my behaviors when handling my rifle off the range. I no longer chamber rounds inside my house, or anytime I'm not intending to discharge the weapon. I don't know about everyone else's situation, but I cannot afford a single negligent discharge, no matter what.

On a side note, I went through very very basic M16 marksmanship training in the AF every 2 years for the 12 years I was on active duty and I don't remember the instructors ever mentioning the possibility of a round detonating when chambering. They should have, because there is the slight possibility of a bang if something is wrong with the rounds primer, or the firing pin is stuck in the bolt.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    No, the clearing barrel is for dry-firing into, to prove that weapons are unloaded. Unlike cops, they generally aren’t trusted to go around with a loaded chamber all the time. Soldiers tend to re-chamber rounds like a bazillion times, entering and leaving “the wire”. The reason re-chambering is not recommended is that it desensitizes primers, although, I can’t recall ever personally seeing an issue. I do advocate rotating ammo, though. Its easy insurance.

No offense to you or your buddy, but my first thought when someone has an unintentional discharge that was not visually observed, and they blame the gun, is that they are lying.
    Who said they blamed the gun? He might have been chambering a reload.

As for LEO's carrying one in the pipe? Pistols are okay with the FHP. It's a big "no" with their AR15's. My brother is FHP and no, he isn't a member here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The clearing barrel is for rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Who said they blamed the gun? He might have been chambering a reload.

As for LEO's carrying one in the pipe? Pistols are okay with the FHP. It's a big "no" with their AR15's. My brother is FHP and no, he isn't a member here.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Long overdue follow up. My light primer strike was due to the firing pin. That round went off fine when I tried it again, but then I started shooting some Red Army Standard steel case and got several fail-to-fires. Swapped in the extended firing pin and didn't have any further issues.

Haven't been shooting much...life keeps getting in the way. Need to get back at it.

Feedback Score
    Long overdue follow up. My light primer strike was due to the firing pin. That round went off fine when I tried it again, but then I started shooting some Red Army Standard steel case and got several fail-to-fires. Swapped in the extended firing pin and didn't have any further issues.

Haven't been shooting much...life keeps getting in the way. Need to get back at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post

Good news!

Feedback Score

I also built AR47 and Superlative Piston Kit

So its cool reading your thread on it. I only discovered m4carbine.net after googling 7.62x39 AR.

I built mine earlier this year on a whim when I saw a 7.62x39 barrel on sale. The rest was built around it. At the heart is also a Superlative Arms Piston kit, I have only built piston driven firearms. So this was my 3rd time using SA, they're a bit hard to source. I did two range tests with the new AR47, one was barrel break-in and optic zero, the second range test was at rifle/pistol class and did it perform beautifully. The gas block is fully open and bolt lock back empty mag works great, its needs to be carbine length gas to get the bolt to cycle (I think SA also mentioned its not 300blk tested which could be why its not cycling properly depending on the gas system length.) I'm building a second very similar, its just lacking the SA piston kit. One is none and two is one as they say and with the price of 7.62x39 ammo, I bought a bunch in bulk. The only upgrades I have planned are to change the RDS and magnifier with a 1-4x24 FFP scope since I don't plan to go past 200/300 yards, I think 1-4x is good to get it to stretch out a bit.

Spikes Tactical - M4 Flat Top Upper w/o Forward Assist or port door
    DEZ Arms. - AR-15 7.62x39 Match Grade Barrel 16” Military M4 Carbine
    Aero Precision - VG6 Gamma 762 Muzzle Brake 5/8x24 TPI Anodized Black (2.24oz)
    BAD - Rigidrail Handguard Mlok 13.7"
    BCM - AR-15 Gunfighter Vertical Grip M-Lok Black
    Aim Sports - AR-15 Charging Handle Standard Latch .223 Rem/5.56 NATO 7075-T6
    Precision Firearms - 7.62x39 Bolt AR15, Enhanced Firing Pin, Firing Pin Retainer
    Superlative Arms - Retrofit Piston Kit 0.750 Clamp On Adj. Gas Block - Carbine (normally I like the set screw and dimple the barrel but I get what I can find)
    POF - Roller Cam Pin Assembly, 223, NP3 Coating

Lower Receiver
    KE Arms - KP-15 Complete Lower Receiver upgraded with Spikes Tactical enhanced mil spec Trigger and Armaspec ambi safety)

Completed AR47 black
    AR47 Black S.jpg
    Last edited by toastx; 05-14-21 at 11:02.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567