Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New glock 45 ftf, fte, etc

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

New glock 45 ftf, fte, etc

Hey y'all. I got a new glock 45, and I went to disassemble it the first time, and there was a hitch as I pulled the slide off (probably my 20th glock of different gens and ive never felt that) that was weird, and then a hitch as I tried to put the slide back on. I figured something was wrong but I didn't notice anything obvious. I went to the range, and it wouldn't feed more than 3 rounds at a time. I got failures to feed, double feeds, failure to eject, it was bad. I haven't owned a glock in several years after swapping to m&p, but I wanted to get back into them, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable anymore on how the internals should look (as far as something out of place on a small scale). Any ideas, I'm hoping it's a simple thing instead of having to send it back to glock. Needless to say I'm wondering if I should have stuck with m&p now, thanks glock! Took me all of 10 seconds to know something was wrong upon handing the pistol and pulling the slide. The fact it left the factory that way, as a damn blue label glock, is embarrassing.

Thanks y'all.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrebel87 View Post
    Hey y'all. I got a new glock 45, and I went to disassemble it the first time, and there was a hitch as I pulled the slide off (probably my 20th glock of different gens and ive never felt that) that was weird, and then a hitch as I tried to put the slide back on. I figured something was wrong but I didn't notice anything obvious. I went to the range, and it wouldn't feed more than 3 rounds at a time. I got failures to feed, double feeds, failure to eject, it was bad. I haven't owned a glock in several years after swapping to m&p, but I wanted to get back into them, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable anymore on how the internals should look (as far as something out of place on a small scale). Any ideas, I'm hoping it's a simple thing instead of having to send it back to glock. Needless to say I'm wondering if I should have stuck with m&p now, thanks glock! Took me all of 10 seconds to know something was wrong upon handing the pistol and pulling the slide. The fact it left the factory that way, as a damn blue label glock, is embarrassing.

Thanks y'all.
    Is the guide rod and spring in the correct spot?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you install any aftermarket components, make any "improvements", .25 trigger jobs, or anything like that?
    If you mag-feed a single round and fire it, does it lock back?
    When you have a stoppage, where precisely are the full cartridges and empty cases?
    Post a picture of the field stripped components.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is factory. First disassembly revealed issues, but couldn't see them. First time shooting proved me right.

Guide rod is fine but when I take the slide off, the guide rod drops down to the second lower notch (like it catches on something).

Sometimes it double feeds, sometimes the empty catches in the breech, sometimes it stays in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Did you install any aftermarket components, make any "improvements", .25 trigger jobs, or anything like that?
    When you have a stoppage, where precisely are the full cartridges and empty cases?
    And what ammo are you using?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    May I ask...in the vein of learning & information, not criticism...what would a .25 cent trigger job have to do with it?
    Thanks for any info,
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    To me, asking if a "25¢-Trigger-Job" was done is a "trick" question. It would then imply the Glock's frame was detail-stripped, which would then lead me to the reassembly process may have been done wrong somehow.

The OP used the word "disassemble" vs. field or detail stripping the Glock, which doesn't tell us enough.
    Previous experience with 20 Glocks is nice to know, but apparently irrelevant as it's not helping to diagnose the problem, which results in this thread. A Glock 45 is a Gen5 type Glock. A Gen5 Glock comes apart and goes together a bit differently from any Gen1 to Gen4 Glocks (if detail stripped); but field stripping is pretty much the same or similar.

On the internet, it's going to be difficult or impossible to diagnose a problem by a verbal/written description of the Glock not feeling right. Determing whether it's a gun, ammo, or operator issue may need to be determined in-person with what's given.

A Glock guide-rod dropping to the 2nd notch upon removing the slide from the frame is entirely normal for Glocks.

I do commend or Moderator ST911 for trying, so far.

If I had to guess, I'd guess, due to Glock generally being good at boxing and delivering a good product, it's not the Glock, but I suppose one firearm could slip through a few QC steps or one never knows what a delivering FFL's employee could have done within the confines of a local gun store. Without knowing what's wrong, blaming Glock right now is premature.

Without more info, I'd only be able to suspect bad or wrong ammo. Over the years, I've seen bad reloads. I've seen .380 trying to be fired in a 9mm. 9mm fired in a .40. And .40 trying to be fired in a .45ACP gun; and perhaps other ammo issues I can't remember right now.

I am curious as to what the problem and remedy turns out to be. I'm thinking a visit to a local range or gun store with a good Glock Armorer present is in order. Please let us know whatever it turns out to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm almost always happy to help troubleshoot a gun problem but it's tough. Gun isn't in hand, people are using words differently, experience levels vary, or people don't know what's important. Then there are those times where someone wants help troubleshooting, but may be lacking candor in discussing some variables. Not saying that's the case with OP, but it's happened. So, the process is structured both to ask for the most common variables, and then includes some subtleties and subterfuge to see if there's tomfoolery.

When considering a troubleshooting thread, the best way to get help is to look at any replies with questions, and answer the question posed precisely. For example:

And what ammo are you using?
    No, my gun is factory. I have not altered it at all in any way.
    Yes, it locks back.
    There is an empty case sticking out of the hole in the slide. Sometimes, there's a loose round underneath it. I don't know how to descibe, so here are some pictures.
    Here are some pictures I took of the inside and outside. Attached
    I'm using my friend's reloads / I'm using brand, weight, sku, etc
    If members want help, that's the way to get it. If posters won't reply with the needed info, most members that are capable of helping are just going to walk for one reason or another.

Re: the ".25 cent trigger job." Often the culprit, less often disclosed. Easy to do, but easy to screw up. Folks think that because it's still factory parts, or they "knew what I was doing", it couldn't be at issue and has to be something else. I've fixed an awful lot of ".25 cent trigger jobs."

With certain guns, I'm usually more suspicious of owner than gun. After that, a combination of gun/ammo/accessory. Then, manufacturing or QC.

Not all of the above directed at OP, just a good opportunity to reinforce a good way to do stuff like this.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

New glock 45 ftf, fte, etc

Data point but my g45 has the same clunk sensation when the slide unlocks. No issues with reliability thus far but the gun does not like to manually extract unfired rounds which makes me think it may have something to do with the length of the ejector. This occurs across a mix of reloads, factory reloaded, Speer lawman 115gr, and 147 Ranger SXT.

Spent cases are fine obviously but it’s not something I’ve experienced previously on any other gen Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 11-01-20 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    For Post_9, the G45 has the breech-face-cut (BFC), which began showing up on later model Gen5 Glocks.

While this breech-face-cut helps in ejection of spent 9mm cases (apparently better than Glock's various 9mm ejectors have done), there are a few reports of folks commenting on the difficulty when manually ejecting/cycling.

Note:
    I don't yet have one of these later model Gen5 9mm Glocks. Both my Gen5 G17 & G19 are early models without the front beveled frame or front cocking serrations and no BFC. I hope to buy one of these later Gen5 Glocks with that BFC someday and hope to speak from first-hand experience instead of what I've read about this hard-to-extract/eject-issue or the one G45 I briefly shot.

Instead, I've been spending gun-money on other things in the last few months. Maybe I'll get one of these latest model Glocks next year once my personal budget becomes healthier.
    Last edited by L-2; 11-01-20 at 17:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast