Thread: Surefire X300u-B failure

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Surefire X300u-B failure

Light is a couple years old. Purchased new in 2018 IIRC.

On the range today running my staccato with said x300. First round click, bang, broke and the x300 goes down. It lived on a g17 prior to this with no issues.

Light was mounted snug with no thread locker.

Given the rust on the cross bolt best guess is either the fastener was bad from the get go or it had developed a stress fracture and eventually weakened.

Surefire responded back with in two hours and is sending me replacement hardware for it at no charge so definitely good stuff from them.

PMC your gear regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 10-29-20 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    But the internet said this doesn’t happen to surefire!

Interesting data point. Good thing it happened on the range.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    PMC your gear regularly.
    Pardon, what's PMC?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Pardon, what's PMC?
    Preventive Maintenance Check.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Small world as I used a SF X300U-A last nite on my Staccato P-Duo w/ out issues in a night match but had to borrow the light back from a guy I just sold it to as it got replaced w/ an O-Light w/ a throw lever but no holster yet for it.

Back in the day SF was the standard by which others were judged but like everything other light manufacturers have caught up w/ them. I still have several SF lights as they just keep working & good to hear their CS responded quickly but they should, as that was also something you could count on back when paying the SF *tax* as I call it.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Congrats! You just discovered *THE* issue with the X300u-B model.
    Not surprised SF shipped you one pronto; the bolt breakage is a 'thing' with these specific lights.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I received the new screw, cross plate, rail inserts (U,P), and c clip today and reassembled.

I’m pretty certain the new screw is machined where as the old one is MIM possibly? It’s definitely a different material.

I figure out the thread pitch I’m going to order a few generic flat cap machine screws to keep on hand in case it goes 10-7 again.

I’ve never had an A model fail so . Or SF has been using shitty screws for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Surefire responded back with in two hours and is sending me replacement hardware for it at no charge so definitely good stuff from them.
    I over-torqued my X300U-B screw once and snapped it, like yours is snapped.

S/F was johnny on the spot with free replacement screws / hardware as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I broke one just like that a couple years ago.