Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centurion Arms Lightweight Barrel Accuracy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    I made a mistake. I’m actually shooting PPU M193. Not sure if this is true to spec or not.

What would a good starting point be as far as selecting a round that may perform better. M855? I’m not looking for match stuff just something that’ll shoot better than 4 MOA.
    M855 is not for any precision use. Full stop. Get some American Eagle or any other flavor of quality American 55gr.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    How many rounds have you out through the barrel? The accuracy could change after the first 500 rounds in my experience.

Also just like others mentioned above, don't worry about your groups if your using a Holo sight or red dot. I have seen some people shoot 1 MOA with irons, but that is outstanding and not common.

I have around 200 rounds or so I would say..

I managed 4-5 MOA using a red dot on a particular rifle shooting 193. I switched to an ACOG and immediately tightened up to 2MOA with the same ammo.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I have around 200 rounds or so I’d say through the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    M855 is not for any precision use. Full stop. Get some American Eagle or any other flavor of quality American 55gr.
    Alright will do. I’ve just read a heavier bullet may perform better with the 1:7.

Feedback Score
    Regardless of what I intend to use a 5.56mm carbine for, I will test it with a magnified optic and good match quality ammo that is appropriate for the twist rate of the barrel.

OP if you have a magnified optic and want to see what the carbine can do, mount the scope and go find a box or two of match ammo and shoot some 10 shot groups or 5 shot groups if 10 shot groups are too much for you. Then you will know what the barrel is capable of if you ever need to press it into a different role.

My Colt, DD, and KAC will all hold right around .9-1.2 MOA at 100 yards with good match ammo for 10 shots if I can keep my concentration up long enough to shoot a clean 10 shot string. That’s with 15X Nightforce on top handling aiming duty. I don’t use that optic on any of the carbines for anything but testing because it’s huge and heavy, but it’s worth knowing if I’m getting trash results because of ammo, sights, or the barrel. I have yet to see a quality barrel running quality ammo fail to turn in nice groups with a decent magnified optic. So I don’t sweat it when I get 4 MOA groups out of the same gun when I’m running blaster practice ammo out of it with a red dot.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Here's my best group with a Centurion Arms 16" lightweight barrel at 100 yards with a 3-15x Vortex scope. This was PMC Bronze .223 55gr.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To the OP; a few comments:

1. M193 is not match grade ammunition. Even if other posters have 1 or 2 good groups to post; I'd be willing to bet they cant do that on command; like a mk262 load can.

2. Most people posting good groups are using magnified optics. The higher the magnification the easier it is to get a consistent POA.

3. Are you using a bipod or front/rear bags? They matter a lot.

4. Are you a good bench rest shooter? I was NOT when I started, but with practice am much more consistent now. Still not perfect, but more consistent.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    2 moa dot with 3 moa ammo.....just saying

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    To the OP; a few comments:

1. M193 is not match grade ammunition. Even if other posters have 1 or 2 good groups to post; I'd be willing to bet they cant do that on command; like a mk262 load can.

2. Most people posting good groups are using magnified optics. The higher the magnification the easier it is to get a consistent POA.

3. Are you using a bipod or front/rear bags? They matter a lot.

I’m just shooting off of a backpack and a bench

4. Are you a good bench rest shooter? I was NOT when I started, but with practice am much more consistent now. Still not perfect, but more consistent.
    Not sure how good I am but I was able to shoot 2 inch groups at 100 with A 6920, wolf gold, and an Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    Not sure how good I am but I was able to shoot 2 inch groups at 100 with A 6920, wolf gold, and an Aimpoint PRO
    So use that ammo and optic and see how it does, because the only thing I'm seeing is apples and oranges. You need to clean up some variables.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12