Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 75 gr .223 ammo . . . increased problems feeding? Yes? No?

Feedback Score

75 gr .223 ammo . . . increased problems feeding? Yes? No?

I found some 75 grain HPBT .223 ammo at just over a "buck-a-bullet" when shipping and taxes are included.

My concern is that I may have an increased possibility of feeding problems. At that price I'd rather not find that out on my own (although I may have to).

Do 75 grain rounds have a history in this regard? I don't have an overall length for this ammo.

I'm running a MilSpec 5.56 BCM RECCE16 with an M4 ramp.
    BCM RECCE-16 ELW Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks 1.92
    You need to be, not seem to be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it's hornady frontier, its excellent stuff.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    COAL will be magazine length.
    I've shot 3 versions of 5.56 77 gr OTM; BH, IMI, Magtech.
    No problems.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a BCM ELW 16" that has shot everything from 55gr - 77gr. Quality ammo, even reputable quality bulk ammo, should work great anything within that range.

A related item is for defense loads I'm using the Speer 75gr Gold Dot, super accurate in this barrel and highly recommended.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve shot quite a bit of IMI 77gr and have never had feeding issues, popped primers yes, but never feeding issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot Hornady 75gr BTHP a bit, and their 70gr GMX some, and I've never had an issue at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bone View Post
    I found some 75 grain HPBT .223 ammo at just over a "buck-a-bullet" when shipping and taxes are included. My concern is that I may have an increased possibility of feeding problems. At that price I'd rather not find that out on my own (although I may have to). Do 75 grain rounds have a history in this regard? I don't have an overall length for this ammo. I'm running a MilSpec 5.56 BCM RECCE16 with an M4 ramp.
    The only thing 75 grains tells you is that the bullet weighs 75 grains. Nothing whatsoever, much less predictive, can be deduced from that without further information about the bullet particulars, cartridge OAL, charge, manufacturer, etc.

Not a comment solely on your post but the whole "XX grains isn't reliable/accurate/whatever" needs to die.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No issues for in several hundred loaded myself to either 2.255 or 2.25 length.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The only thing 75 grains tells you is that the bullet weighs 75 grains. Nothing whatsoever, much less predictive, can be deduced from that without further information about the bullet particulars, cartridge OAL, charge, manufacturer, etc.

Not a comment solely on your post but the whole "XX grains isn't reliable/accurate/whatever" needs to die.
    ^^^^This^^^^plus I really miss the intelligent conversation we once had here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    . . . Not a comment solely on your post but the whole "XX grains isn't reliable/accurate/whatever" needs to die.
    Sorry . . . didn't realize I was picking on a scab. Wish I had info regarding OAL, etc. Was sorta wondering if 75 grain bullets approached the limits of OAL thereby making them more difficult to feed in some rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by MJinPA View Post
    . . . plus I really miss the intelligent conversation we once had here...
    I'm so dumb I thought this was an intelligent conversation.

What I've learned: Having a 75 grain bullet by itself is not an indicator of potential feeding problems. To determine if this particular round will have a problem in my particular rifle I'll need to try it myself. Right?
    BCM RECCE-16 ELW Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks 1.92
    You need to be, not seem to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast