Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ve been using and recommending http://www.bulletproofme.com for a while now. They sell all manner of “generic” manufactured ceramic plates. The prices are excellent and the selection is second to none. Their level IV LW plates are rated to 30-06 AP. I’m happy.

One question to the SMEs in the room; as long as you’re not rough with them and don’t expose them to water and saturate them with sweat, what breaks down and necessitates a 5 year replacement timeframe?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    With certified lightweight plates offering 15 year warranties, I can't understand a "5 year replacement" time frame. That sounds like overkill.

Could be related to liability issues with PDs, etc.

The plates that ride around in my truck for years now in the S. GA heat- fine. The plates that are in my carriers that go to training a couple times a month fine.

What is the rationale for a "5 year" swap out? I guess I don't get it?

Hell years ago I shot an old skewl military Level IV panel that was tucked behind the seat in my car for years after being bought used (and probably in heat, etc. for God only knows how long by then). I shot it at 15 yards with an M1a (no penetration) and then 3 times with a X39 AK- also no penetration. Panel was starting to separate after the three AK rounds but I tapped it up and put it behind the seat in the car again until I cycled another one back there.

These ideas that they are "one hit wonders" and don't tolerate heat, etc. is a bunch of BS IME.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    With certified lightweight plates offering 15 year warranties, I can't understand a "5 year replacement" time frame. That sounds like overkill.

Could be related to liability issues with PDs, etc.

The plates that ride around in my truck for years now in the S. GA heat- fine. The plates that are in my carriers that go to training a couple times a month fine.

What is the rationale for a "5 year" swap out? I guess I don't get it?

Hell years ago I shot an old skewl military Level IV panel that was tucked behind the seat in my car for years after being bought used (and probably in heat, etc. for God only knows how long by then). I shot it at 15 yards with an M1a (no penetration) and then 3 times with a X39 AK- also no penetration. Panel was starting to separate after the three AK rounds but I tapped it up and put it behind the seat in the car again until I cycled another one back there.

These ideas that they are "one hit wonders" and don't tolerate heat, etc. is a bunch of BS IME.
    I mean honestly it could be a hold over from the .gov only days and be just meant to increase purchases and make more money. Though people are rougher on stuff they don’t buy personally as well. Lol
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I mean honestly it could be a hold over from the .gov only days and be just meant to increase purchases and make more money. Though people are rougher on stuff they don’t buy personally as well. Lol
    I agree.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I’ve been using and recommending http://www.bulletproofme.com for a while now. They sell all manner of “generic” manufactured ceramic plates. The prices are excellent and the selection is second to none. Their level IV LW plates are rated to 30-06 AP. I’m happy.

One question to the SMEs in the room; as long as you’re not rough with them and don’t expose them to water and saturate them with sweat, what breaks down and necessitates a 5 year replacement timeframe?
    I am pinching pennies and looking for a setup and came across that site. Anyone know who actually makes the plates? Are they just like bulk unmarked from some known USA manufacturer?

While Hesco is certainly lighter, they are definitely more expensive for a set.

Feedback Score
    double post, sorry.
    Last edited by praythenspray; 08-20-21 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by praythenspray View Post
    I am pinching pennies and looking for a setup and came across that site. Anyone know who actually makes the plates? Are they just like bulk unmarked from some known USA manufacturer?

I asked when I bought mine. LTC is what they said I believe. That was years ago but their offerings haven’t change so I’m assuming it’s still the same. I am looking at some Hescos as well for the weight savings but I do like my BPM (LTC) plates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by praythenspray View Post

I was very impressed with my dealing with BPM- will buy some side plates from him in the future for my turtle suit.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I thought I would add this as it may be a good option just to buy a set and throw in the closet. Old Grouch Surplus in NC purchased an ass load of old Italian Military level 3 rifle plates. They were cheap so I picked up a set as a backup or a give out if needed. For black Friday he dropped the price to $65 a plate so I garbed another one just to shoot and these were the results.
    All shots were taken at 10 yards:

Ammo used and gun:
    300 Blk Barnes 110 TSX Black Tip - AAC 9"
    55gr 223 & M855 Green Tip - 16" Sionics AR
    308 168gr GMM - SR25 16"
    5.45 7N6 - 16" Arsenal AK74

As you can see from the second pic, only the M855 made it through and it was able to stop one of the 3. Again I think they are a smoking deal to throw in the closet as a backup. They are only about 3/4 inch think and I purchased the curved version. At least the ones I recived we all unissued - http://ogsurplus-com.3dcartstores.co...ion_p_100.html
    Last edited by themonk; 12-13-21 at 14:41.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    Talking about 15yr Warranty on Plates..."some" may reply to this with the usual "Rebranded or false advertising claims" which are all easily clarified by the Company itself (ShotStop) or distributors of their higher end plates (GT2) such as one of the best Vendors on every Forum...Robert Henry of JRH Enterprises....

"Duritium GT2 Level III+ ballistic armor plates 10x12 Shooters cut" https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Durit...-10X12SHMC.htm

Since the infamous "Green Tip" rounds are prevalent on every online website out there, it was my primary round to stop..Hence GT2.

Before spewing out negative ShotStop commentary I invite you to contact them with concerns or questions on their stopping capabilities or "Edge to Edge" coverage - which is clarified. They were extremely Customer Service friendly to me but didn't have the GT2 at that time...hence my purchase from JRH who is equally as Customer Oriented as I've ever found. Highly recommend them for both Armor, NV and Tactical supplies.

Oh....as stated in the 3rd or 4th Reply on Page 1..."Friends don't let Friends buy Steel Armor!!" LMFAO. I've literally been on the firing line and seen others step far away from anyone wearing Steel Plates!!
    Semper Fi...🇺🇲

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast