Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    There are better ceramic plates for less money than steel.
    Okie, I am starting to see this. But if you want level iv protection ceramic is expensive as far as I can see. Do you have any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nowayout View Post
    But if you want level iv protection ceramic is expensive as far as I can see.
    Huh. Perhaps your interpretation of the word "cheap" drastically differs from mine, but I would usually say that level IV ceramics can easily be found quite cheap, at least before availability went to shit for all armor, though even now, they're gonna be one of the easier options to source. Now, they're gonna be thick, heavy, and single curve, but that's why they're cheap.

Beyond that, the preoccupation with "Level IV" is pretty ridiculous to me. It irks me just how few people realize what Level IV even means.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-16-21 at 18:28.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okie, I am starting to see this. But if you want level iv protection ceramic is expensive as far as I can see. Do you have any recommendations?
    RMA, LA police gear, etc. Steel isn't that cheap, and it's so insanely heavy.

You might also rethink lvl 4. Not too many folks out there running around with AP M2. Being able to stop all the common 223, 308, x39, etc. is probably sufficient. There's generally about a two pound per plate difference between 3 and 4, and that makes a huge difference. With the cheaper plates they use silicon carbide instead of boron carbide for the ceramic, and that gets massively heavy when you thicken it up to stop the heavy duty stuff.
    Last edited by okie; 01-16-21 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Im with you on this. Im presently shopping for steel, better protection for less money.

Can you share what store TB is?
    Member here, not a store.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I just saw mira safety came out with lvl4 plates.
    Ceramic/UHMWPE Hybrid at 5.9lb. 10x12x0.9 shooters cut. Don't know full threats it defeats though they state it defeats 556AP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I just saw mira safety came out with lvl4 plates.
    Ceramic/UHMWPE Hybrid at 5.9lb. 10x12x0.9 shooters cut. Don't know full threats it defeats though they state it defeats 556AP.
    They don't show anything besides defeat of a single round of M2 AP a single time (and is not NIJ certified AFAIK, as they only submitted a single plate for testing). Their description of the armor seems to show a poor understanding of how armor works, so, I would personally pass on that unless you really needed Level IV at a lower weight (the ceramic/UHMWPE construction and thickness suggests it'll probably be able to defeat at least one round reliably).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    You might also rethink lvl 4. Not too many folks out there running around with AP M2. Being able to stop all the common 223, 308, x39, etc. is probably sufficient. There's generally about a two pound per plate difference between 3 and 4, and that makes a huge difference. With the cheaper plates they use silicon carbide instead of boron carbide for the ceramic, and that gets massively heavy when you thicken it up to stop the heavy duty stuff.
    Agreed. The thought of adding the weight of the Level 3s to my carrier is frightening enough.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm in the market currently and and back and forth between the RMA lvl4's and the LA police gear lv3 or 4's. If not enough to figure out, I feel like I need a setup for my wife. Anybody else have a full carrier and plates for their spouse? Unecessary? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pstk5088 View Post
    I'm in the market currently and and back and forth between the RMA lvl4's and the LA police gear lv3 or 4's. If not enough to figure out, I feel like I need a setup for my wife. Anybody else have a full carrier and plates for their spouse? Unecessary? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.
    I got my wife the LAPG level3s in a Sentry type plate carrier.m So at least she has some type of protection in a HD situation, as she isn't really a gun person. I have an IFAK and small utility pouch attached to the carrier..

Some protection is better than nothing...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pstk5088 View Post
    I've heard that hard armor can be tricky with women because of their chest which could make fitment problematic.

You could always get a carrier and level IIIa soft armor which might fit better.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast