Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    RMA level4 are about $135 a piece and 8.3lbs per plate... Is a couple of pounds that much of a difference? It feels that way sometimes between my two PCs lol
    It really can make a difference. Get the lightest you can afford.

They're manageable though. 1155s were what I could afford, and I run with 'em, IMT/shoot/move/communicate. Don't load your shit down too much. 3 mags, IFAK, radio, 1qt water...26ish lb.s.

I also do PT on purpose, that helps!

Feedback Score
    I have ceramic plates for me and I ordered some Hesco L210 for my daughter.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    RMA level4 are about $135 a piece and 8.3lbs per plate... Is a couple of pounds that much of a difference? It feels that way sometimes between my two PCs lol
    HELL YES.
    I went from 7lb plates (6lb for plate + 1lb for ICW backers) in a heavy PC, to 4.5 pound plates in a much lighter-weight carrier. Even in a lighter carrier, the 7-pounders were "a bit much" once you add all your other crap. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drag around 8lb plates + required gear even if they were very fit.
    The PC you put it in, and how many extra pouches you add (and what they are constructed of) also plays a surprising difference.

I notice a lot of 'new to armor' folks I've talked to only look at the 'per plate' weight to justify it in their heads; "It's only 8/ 8.5/etc pounds".
    No... it's 16 or 17 pounds BEFORE you add your carrier/placard/pouches which is going to be between 3-6 pounds, no matter how light you go. So the starting weight, before adding a single clipazine, is 19-23 pounds.
    When you point out that your entire 'heavy' loadout with plates/carrier, 6 rifle mags, IFAK, pistol mags, radio, and other small stuff is 26 pounds total... Or that the bare plate weight of 16 lbs is my plates/carrier + 4 rifle mags I get to carry for "free" before I hit their bare plate weight... I've found most of them suddenly have that 'lightbulb' moment.

Multi-curve also makes a big difference Vs singles, but... you gotta do what you gotta do for the money available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    It's probably because the plate doesn't stop .30-06 M2 in a meaningful manner. The video does not show proper testing procedures according to NIJ; there is no data that I saw in a cursory viewing of the video that dealt with backform deformation. Just because a bullet doesn't fully penetrate doesn't mean that the plate actually is considered to have defeated the round, as if enough BFD has occurred, the wearer would still incur catastrophic injury.
    That's a good point. Although, the BFD with 855 looked acceptable to me (versus a variety of other non-lab testing I've seen with a variety of plates). You're probably right though, likely just a CYA thing.
    That being said, the utter lack of specific threat-ratings on the LAPG page also bugs me; I don't think I've seen any other armor vendor that doesn't list the rounds it's rated for right up front. So considering nobody on the buyer side has any idea what it's legit rated to stop... the general vagueness on that whole page seems like a big CYA thing.
    Unless these are some sort of rebrand/contract overrun of good plates, and they just can't mark/print what they really are?

YMMV... I've also never played around with the ultra-budget armor market (for good reason).
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    A couple pounds per plate makes a huge difference. You know how a 7 pound rifle feels light as a feather, but an 8 pound rifle feels too heavy? Plates work the same way.
    I know....weird how a slight difference in weight feels a bit off....lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    It really can make a difference. Get the lightest you can afford.

They're manageable though. 1155s were what I could afford, and I run with 'em, IMT/shoot/move/communicate. Don't load your shit down too much. 3 mags, IFAK, radio, 1qt water...26ish lb.s.

I also do PT on purpose, that helps!
    Yup..PT and cardio....I actually started tossing around a 30lb sandbag at the gym to help with core and back strength....

I keep my PC with 3 AR mag holders, TQ, IFAK and soft side armor from AT armor...a lot more manageable...no comms. I also took out the RMA side armor..there goes 5lbs..

my LAPG level 3 plates in a different carrier is a heck of a lot lighter...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    As a point of reference regarding Beez shipping times: I ordered an Armis carrier on 12/11 and received today 1/13. Under five weeks to my door, and I believe they ask for up to five weeks to ship.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I started out with steel, not really knowing any better. Have two sets of steel. Then went ahead and got some Hesco Level IV plates for the wife and I. Running Mayflower APC—works well for the plates and for me.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I grabbed a pair of the LAPG Lvl 3s. I have an in conjunction Mayflower carrier that I've only been running the soft panels. For the price of the Level 3s, it's worth a try.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have a set of steel plates coming from TB. Hard to spend $300 and up on plates I will rarely, maybe never, use.

Really hard to buy Chinese plates to address a risk of civil disorder caused in part by a virus from a Chinese lab.

Andy
    Im with you on this. Im presently shopping for steel, better protection for less money.

Can you share what store TB is?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowayout View Post
    Im with you on this. Im presently shopping for steel, better protection for less money.

Can you share what store TB is?
    There are better ceramic plates for less money than steel.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast