Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for getting back. I was just looking at the LAPG level 4 plates. They have a ton in stock. Going to order a set for the carrier I have. Also looking at making my own for the larger set of plates I previously bought that don't fit the carrier I have. Found a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine that isn't as expensive as others. At first I was hesitant about DIY, but looking at other gear, it doesn't look like rocket science to DIY. Found pretty much all the material cheap, cordura.. milspec thread and velcro... on Ebang. Just saving the bling for the machine now.

Link for those looking to DIY:

https://tuffsew.com/
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm going a little off topic here but my question is how well does a plate that's rated III+ that will defeat against small arms ammo like M193 NATO FMJ, various 7.62x39 FMJ, .223 FMJ, M855 FMJ, M80 7.62x51 hold up against the same caliber of so called hunting/tactical rounds that incorporate soft points, polymer tipped, OTMs, and other "exotic" bullet construction?

ETA, Just thought about how I don't see much info on testing plates against common hunting rounds like .204 Ruger, .243, 30-06, 7mm Mag, .300 Winchester Mag, etc.
    Last edited by 3 AE; 05-05-21 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They'd hold up just fine.

.30-06 AP is the standard for lvl 4, of course.

You will see alot of informal testing of hunting rounds on various plates, Mr. Guns N Gear I believe has done some.

Manufacturers focus on the mostcommon, most likely encountered threats. They're not going to bother testing against every hunting caliber under the sun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    ETA, Just thought about how I don't see much info on testing plates against common hunting rounds like .204 Ruger, .243, 30-06, 7mm Mag, .300 Winchester Mag, etc.
    I can't even imagine getting punched by 300 WM with the best plate possible. That's a massive energy hit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can't even imagine getting punched by 300 WM with the best plate possible. That's a massive energy hit.
    If you duct tape 2 level 4 plates together, it should hold up just fine, minimal BFD. Of course really only recommended if you have some sort of transport around your AO, like a golf cart or something.

"Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    If you duct tape 2 level 4 plates together, it should hold up just fine, minimal BFD. Of course really only recommended if you have some sort of transport around your AO, like a golf cart or something.

Too funny First Sgt.!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    New to body armor so take my input with a grain of whatever powder you reload with. Several months back I started to get a bit serious in my PPE. Went with RMA and purchased a pair of Level IIIA single curve hard plates for protection from handgun rounds. At 14 oz. for a 10 x 12 at $99.00 each, I figured I at least had something for minimal protection, is very light weight, and relatively inexpensive. Had my eyes on their Level III multi curve plates, but they had been out of stock for many months. Last week they had Level III+ multi curve plates in the size that fits me in stock. They only had one in stock so I jumped on it to be used in the front end of my Velocity Systems/Mayflower APC. I fit a size small, 8.75" x 11.75", weighs in at just under four pounds. Took the front side Level IIIA plate and doubled it up with the backside one. At just under six pounds for the armor, it fulfills my personal cost, weight, protection requirements in my area in Wyoming.

On my PC, I have three loaded thirty round mags, one spare pistol mag, an IFAK, small flashlight, a one quart canteen, a multitool, and a few spare batteries, and the armor plates. Total weight is fifteen pounds. Now I'm in my mid sixties, 5'4", 135 pds. and in no way in shape like I was twenty years ago, unless I've been drinking. So being able to move in a CQB situation is a priority, whether the threat is five minutes or five hours. I do know with the very limited time with the body armor, is that multi-curve is SO MUCH MORE comfortable , especially on the front end. The single curve plates on my backside isn't a problem as far as comfort goes. I kind of relate it to our carbines. You can have two ARs that are similar in weight, but the one that is balanced in your hands seem to feel better and is quicker to react to your input.

The point I'm trying to make is 1) Be honest with your physical capabilities, 2) Be honest with your area operations. Is it mostly home defense, travel to and from your work place through less than safe neighborhoods, or is it that you happen to live in an urban war zone 24/7. 3) Which ever scenario fits your environment, spend the extra coin to make sure it fits, is comfortable to a reasonable degree, and provides the protection and mobility you'll most likely need to up the odds in your favor.

P.S. I'll most likely add some Level IIIA soft armor to the cummerbund to hide the love handles. Damn, that's another pound to carry around!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    Thanks for getting back. I was just looking at the LAPG level 4 plates. They have a ton in stock. Going to order a set for the carrier I have. Also looking at making my own for the larger set of plates I previously bought that don't fit the carrier I have. Found a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine that isn't as expensive as others. At first I was hesitant about DIY, but looking at other gear, it doesn't look like rocket science to DIY. Found pretty much all the material cheap, cordura.. milspec thread and velcro... on Ebang. Just saving the bling for the machine now.

Link for those looking to DIY:

https://tuffsew.com/
    When I got my plates they smelled like plastic for a few days. Gone now but one of the first things I noticed. Not sure it it was just ve cause they had been wrapped in bubble wrap for a long time... I just let them sit out in the open for a few days and seemed to be gone.

Interested in seeing what you create with your sewing adventure. Please share here or another thread if you don't mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    https://safelifedefense.com/product/...rmor-fras/#SLD

Anyone out there have any experience with this new flexible rifle armor? I figured it was coming, but not so soon.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    https://safelifedefense.com/product/...rmor-fras/#SLD

Anyone out there have any experience with this new flexible rifle armor? I figured it was coming, but not so soon.
    It’s interesting if expensive. But I imagine taking a round would feel like getting hit by the small end of an I-beam thrown by the Hulk. Even Imperial Stormtroopers wear hard armor for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast