Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Depends on what he's most likely to get shot by. A level IV plate doesn't do me much good stopping an AP round if M193 penetrates. Maybe AP rounds are a bigger threat to him than the most common AR rounds, but I'd look at those plates (or any plates you're plates you're considering) specific "shot sheet" before buying them.
    The level IV will stop M193 and AP rounds, while NIJ standard is 1 AP round from a 30.06 it can take multi hit M855, M193 and 7.62x39.

They also have a level III that had impressive results.

https://youtu.be/W9-_6envfiE

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Don't bother with steel.

Lightweight Duritium plates like the new GT2 plates are comfortable, thin and level III+. 15 year warranty, made in the US unlike some of the chin-wa-choo knockoff stuff with dubious ballistic capability.

Be sure to check for NIJ ratings.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm retired from the Army (non-Combat Arms) and drive a desk at a defense contractor in a pretty calm part of the South.

Am I crazy/in a Walter Mitty fantasy for thinking I should buy a plate carrier and rifle plates to prepare for the remote chance we have a social break down in the next 10 years?

If buying plates is a reasonable thing to do, are Linexed steel front/rear Level III+ plates sufficient for a purely civilian threat?

I have a concealable soft armor vest now.

Thank you

Andy
    I would say yes. Just like you don't plan on getting in a car wreck, but seat belts are a great idea.

The big debate is Composite or Steel. It really depends on qhat you want. If you are going to build a full plate carrier with all of the gear on it then Composite is the way to go as tney are generally much lighter.

If you want as low viz as possible then I would use steel. They are heavier, but are traditionally up to 1 /5th as thick.

I have both. My low viz set up is steel and I can wear level 3 plates and soft armor under a normal shirt. I also have my full on Eagle PLate Carrier that has a few months in Afghanistan that has great light weight composite armor.

If you listen to the internet and fear steel plates, simply do what I do. Buy steel plates and get some side plates with it. Then take the side plates to the range and blast the hell out of them. I just did this last month and shot the crap out of them. Used 5.56 (55, 62, and 77) 308 (147 , 168), and 9mm (pistol and from an SMG) at ranges from 50 yards as close as 10 feet. The plates took over 200 rounds and don't show any signs of wear. I also taped balloons to the back side to show the people I was with that the rumors of spall are total BS. Couldn't get te balloons to pop with shooting the plates.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Should you get plates?

That's kinda up to you. If you believe in the 2A, then yes. If you live in a built up area with a possibility of political or civil unrest? Probably not a bad idea.

Steel plates are not the best plates in the world, but they WILL stop a round. When one of my buddies got new ESAPI's we turned one of his steel plates into a "target" and it stopped HUNDREDS of rounds of 556. All M855 and M193. I'll even sell you my 3+ set for cheap, hit the PM's.

Really you should ask yourself what you actually plan on doing while wearing the armor, and then select gear accordingly. If you just want to be hardened while moving to a safer area in a vehicle: a set of steel plates in a low vis carrier is NOT bad kit. If you wanted to patrol long distances, around water, or wear your armor for very long periods of time: then a steel kit isn't so hot.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Doc and Turnburglar make excellent points. I wish to be hardened during travel and for short time periods. I do not anticipate moving long distances on foot wearing armor.

My biggest worry with steel armor is projectile fragment/splash/ricochet.

The only hard armor I have experience with is Interceptor with SAPI.

I appreciate the offer. If I decide I need $$$ plates down the road, the steel armor would just get passed to a family member.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-01-20 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    One of the things to consider is availability. I'm not sure if any vendors have steel plates in stock.
    AR500 has a 6 week backlog as do other plate manufacturers.

Depending on what happens on Tuesday things may get worse for availability.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have RMA level 4 and LA police gear level 3s... The biggest issue is weight... My SKD Paraclete has the RMA, but also mag pouches, IFAK, knife, pistol mags, TQ. I also have soft armor for the cummerbunds. This is more of a home defense set up.

My Level 3s are in a Condor MOPC, which isn't bad, and an almost identical set up as my SKD...it is lighter and a lot more mobile...

I am a big believer in side armor, at least 3A, but I have RMA Level 4 side plates just in case....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    One of the things to consider is availability. I'm not sure if any vendors have steel plates in stock.
    AR500 has a 6 week backlog as do other plate manufacturers.

Depending on what happens on Tuesday things may get worse for availability.

Yes. Haven't carried AR500 in years but they were always 8-10 weeks out even a decade ago now.

Feedback Score
    I think that's a liability thing for police departments to worry about being sued over a failure- most of this armor will sit in a closet, or be lightly worn. Don't leave it in the car and take care of it, and it will be effective for your grandkids.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Doc and Turnburglar make excellent points. I wish to be hardened during travel and for short time periods. I do not anticipate moving long distances on foot wearing armor.

My biggest worry with steel armor is projectile fragment/splash/ricochet.

Andy

That is BS Internet information. It is designed to not effect you like that. It is not a slab of steel that you simply strap to your chest.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast