Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is BS Internet information. It is designed to not effect you like that. It is not a slab of steel that you simply strap to your chest.
    Plus, if you are overly concerned with any potential injury from spalling, you can get Kevlar covers for them.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Were the balloons arranged such that the the plane of the plate would intersect them?
    I also taped balloons to the back side to show the people I was with that the rumors of spall are total BS. Couldn't get te balloons to pop with shooting the plates.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is BS Internet information. It is designed to not effect you like that. It is not a slab of steel that you simply strap to your chest.
    Most reputable steel plate manufactures use the build up coat for that exact reason. The line-X will eat most of the splash. Another thing to consider is that the plates are gonna be riding inside of a 500 or 1000D nylon carrier. The carrier itself should also be able to eat some of the splash that isn't taken by the line-X.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Were the balloons arranged such that the the plane of the plate would intersect them?
    They were arraigned to be seen all around the edges. At least 3 inches of balloons could be seen around all sides. We also shot them straight on and from many different angles.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Most reputable steel plate manufactures use the build up coat for that exact reason. The line-X will eat most of the splash. Another thing to consider is that the plates are gonna be riding inside of a 500 or 1000D nylon carrier. The carrier itself should also be able to eat some of the splash that isn't taken by the line-X.
    This is true. You can also coat the plats more with the spray on bed liner you can get at most hardware stores, if you want.

All of my tests are done without any added coatings and also without any coverings.

I also shot them some more this weekend. I taped them to the head part of an IPSC target. that lasted for about 58 rounds until the tape was destroyed and the plates fell to the ground. I now have 268 runds on them (not counting the SMG MAC10 9mm because most of those rounds missed BIG time). I final broke the surface covering with some 308 rounds.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought this setup was pretty interesting for the "casual" armor wearer. Kind of a minimalist setup, although "minimalist" when it comes to armor might be going in the wrong direction.

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar-freeman.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I thought this setup was pretty interesting for the "casual" armor wearer. Kind of a minimalist setup, although "minimalist" when it comes to armor might be going in the wrong direction.

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar-freeman.html
    That bundle is crap, unfortunately.

A friend of mine showed up with one like that for training one day (he's since upgraded).

The plates are tiny...see the shape, I guess to save weight? And the carrier is thin, cheap material. We called it his "child armor". It's pretty terrible.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    That bundle is crap, unfortunately.

A friend of mine showed up with one like that for training one day (he's since upgraded).

The plates are tiny...see the shape, I guess to save weight? And the carrier is thin, cheap material. We called it his "child armor". It's pretty terrible.
    Bummer, I guess you just can't get too cheap on your armor.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    9”x9”? So the size of a dinner plate?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    This is true. You can also coat the plats more with the spray on bed liner you can get at most hardware stores, if you want.

All of my tests are done without any added coatings and also without any coverings.

I also shot them some more this weekend. I taped them to the head part of an IPSC target. that lasted for about 58 rounds until the tape was destroyed and the plates fell to the ground. I now have 268 runds on them (not counting the SMG MAC10 9mm because most of those rounds missed BIG time). I final broke the surface covering with some 308 rounds.
    Doc, which steel plates are you referring to? I’m intrigued since I’ve never heard anyone who knows their sh*t to say that steel is G2G. I wouldn’t mind setting up a lower viz rig.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-03-20 at 06:35.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast