Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Plate Debate

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Got the plates from TB today (looking brand new). Post office got jokes - they put stickers all over the box "Caution, heavy, 35 lbs and over" (box was 17lbs).

I told my wife I need to order another 2000 357 bullets, which drew a giggle. They all fit in a small priority mail box but the mail lady was pissed for months. That box was 45 lbs.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    HAHAHA yea when I handed the lady the medium flat rate box, she wasn't ready for the weight. I hung onto it, until she got her wrists under it. I was like: "If it fits it ships right?" And she was like: "Ugghhh ....... yea....."

Yea its pretty hard to put a dent in steel plates. (jokes)
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Doc, what do you use for mag carriers, etc, with the Beez minimalist setup? Or just slick?
    I have a BFG PlateMINUS and some steel inbound, but I saw that Beez makes a carrier specifically for the Steel Ops Armis plate, which is what I ordered for the front.
    Had no intention of getting a different carrier, but open to the idea. I already have ten speed pouches for the BFG, which seems like would keep it slick unless I actually want to drop mags in there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You're on the right track there Jedi. My wife's carrier is a PlateMinus (damn that thing is nice!) with a BFG triple up front (2 rifle mags, and a TQ in the middle pouch = perfection).

Yank the stuff out of the pouches, and it's totally slick. Best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    My $0.02: Why buy steel armor when ceramic is getting more and more affordable every year?

I went down this road and ended up with a couple sets of steel armor. I wish I had spent a little more and got ceramic. A set of US made level 4 ceramic 10x12 plates can be had for under $300 is many cases and Hoplite SAPI cut plates can be had for under $500 a pair.

I would never chastise someone for buying what they can afford (at least steel armor is some armor, like I said I have some) but in many cases for a little more $$ most people can get ceramic and avoid the issues that come with steel.

Most importantly- don't buy armor (or anything for that matter) from companies that won't sell to regular everyday civilians or require ridiculous verification processes (SKD Tactical)
    Last edited by 85cucvtom; 11-28-20 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    To answer a couple different questions in the last few posts:

The carrier used for this particular steel plate is meant to be slick for concealment purposes. To get (carbine) mags into the game, I’d probably have a chest rig to throw over the top of the whole system, or just roll with one in the gun and one in a concealed belt mounted carrier along with my regular EDC. That’s IF I’m even trying to conceal a carbine in a backpack of some sort. Being that this is a concealment application, I’m of the mind that I don’t want to be in a prolonged firefight. Shoot to break cover and get the hell out.

As for why this steel plate vs ceramic, it’s not necessarily about the money. I’m not sure there’s a ceramic plate on the market that comes in at 1/4” thick. Again, this is for concealment. If I’m going with an overt rig, then I’ll be running ceramic with a full load out of mags on the same chest rig that gets clipped into the swift clip setup. It also can serve as a backup in case one of the ceramics gets damaged.

I see this system as a good solution between a concealed soft armor vest and the full overt rig. In my use case, it’s for a situation where society is volatile (but not full on “SHTF” where people might be kitted up overtly) and where you expect to be up against handgun rounds and the rifle protection is just a plus. Apparently it sucks to get shot with soft armor only, so the plate helps keep you in the fight if that were to happen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know Hesco U210 are ridiculously thin, but you pay dearly for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I know Hesco U210 are ridiculously thin, but you pay dearly for them.
    Yeah you do, they are big money.

I was thinking the L210 would for the Bill. You can find sets under $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Still both over .5”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m with Ironman on my reasoning about keeping things concealable. For me, price is also factor, as I consider likelihood and duration of use. I am happy to toss money toward cool stuff, but when I compared to purchasing an RMA setup, I opted for less expensive, thinner, slightly heavier, and more flexible (cut, not material).

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast