Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR General Discussion forum dead?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Just go over to ARFCOM - they've had an interesting thread going for your edification:

"Do Vampires Poop?"

I do visit that place once in a while. I would post something here about an auction I went to Wednesday evening in Las Vegas, New Mexico where I was the high bidder for a NIB Ruger AR-556, but I'd get run out. $290 for the thing. Owner bought it a couple of years ago, never used it and died. I'd be getting high fives at that other site.

Now I need to ponder how well I did. Fit and finish seems nice. Might end up being a fun shooter. But don't tell too many people here I own a FUDD gun......
    You know we love you mang.

Honestly $290 for an AR to just do whatever with isn’t bad.

Fudd isn’t a gun. It’s a state of mind. I knew a guy (sadly passed on) who wasn’t really at all a “gun guy”. But he had two identical Colt SP1s and two 1911s. He had other guns like bolt actions and lever actions and loved his single action Ruger revolvers.

But he kept them Colts sighted in and oiled. He did four tours in Vietnam and said he only had those guns because he knew “damn well how to use them and what they will do”.

It took a LOT of cajoling to get him to buy a Glock and he did. A Glock 34. And his eyes lit up. “Say this is mighty nice”. And he considered it a “killing gun” and sold a Colt 1911 to offset it. I mean something he bought in the early 70s. He offered it to me for like nothing and I stupidly turned it down because I had a Kimber and didn’t think I needed another 1911.

When he died his son got his stuff. But he was a really nice, well mannered guy. Really positive.

Ostensibly you could say he was a “fudd” of you judged him solely for the guns his like but that being said there are probably some Vietnamese orphans and widows still out there somewhere who would argue that point.

ETA Barfcom is easily trolled and fun and I swear they bleed soy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You know we love you mang.

Honestly $290 for an AR to just do whatever with isn’t bad.

Fudd isn’t a gun. It’s a state of mind. I knew a guy (sadly passed on) who wasn’t really at all a “gun guy”. But he had two identical Colt SP1s and two 1911s. He had other guns like bolt actions and lever actions and loved his single action Ruger revolvers.

But he kept them Colts sighted in and oiled. He did four tours in Vietnam and said he only had those guns because he knew “damn well how to use them and what they will do”.

It took a LOT of cajoling to get him to buy a Glock and he did. A Glock 34. And his eyes lit up. “Say this is mighty nice”. And he considered it a “killing gun” and sold a Colt 1911 to offset it. I mean something he bought in the early 70s. He offered it to me for like nothing and I stupidly turned it down because I had a Kimber and didn’t think I needed another 1911.

When he died his son got his stuff. But he was a really nice, well mannered guy. Really positive.

Ostensibly you could say he was a “fudd” of you judged him solely for the guns his like but that being said there are probably some Vietnamese orphans and widows still out there somewhere who would argue that point.

ETA Barfcom is easily trolled and fun and I swear they bleed soy.
    I've been a member over there since 2002, but only around 200 or more posts. It's too busy there for my taste. The threads are flying in and out, and if you leave for 5 minutes and return - you have a hard time finding where you were.

I should have said "Fudd's gun" than Fudd gun. No matter, it had never been shot and still in the bag in the box. It was covered in so much oil/preservative that it reminds me of combloc stuff and their cosmoline. I thought it was a good buy. It was an estate sale/auction and the big items were all the antiques and coin collection stuff. This Ruger seemed to fall between the cracks because I was the only bidder. The wife left with a Tiffany style lamp.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I've been a member over there since 2002, but only around 200 or more posts. It's too busy there for my taste. The threads are flying in and out, and if you leave for 5 minutes and return - you have a hard time finding where you were.

I should have said "Fudd's gun" than Fudd gun. No matter, it had never been shot and still in the bag in the box. It was covered in so much oil/preservative that it reminds me of combloc stuff and their cosmoline. I thought it was a good buy. It was an estate sale/auction and the big items were all the antiques and coin collection stuff. This Ruger seemed to fall between the cracks because I was the only bidder. The wife left with a Tiffany style lamp.
    Yeah I got booted from BARFCOM about 8 years ago, having been there for about 10 previous to that. Went out in style for sure, told Ed Sr. what he could do with his website and there were a few subsequent vulgar emails exchanged. Oh well.....

I will say this though: I do occasionally browse their GD forum for "current events" type stuff, which is funny because that's where my donnybrook took place!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don’t even lurk but I do love the Divorce threads, the Virgin at 45 threads and some of their other trainwrecks. And the leg humping.

Most of them buy guns just to buy guns like the walking licks that they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don’t even lurk but I do love the Divorce threads, the Virgin at 45 threads and some of their other trainwrecks. And the leg humping.

Most of them buy guns just to buy guns like the walking licks that they are.
    There are still some good discussions. The sub forums I like are retro AR, bullpup, hk, fn, Colt and KAC industry. Then the EE. The EE has always been a great place to find deals on gently used items that people are selling to fund the new hotness.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    TOS has two things going for it.

1. A massive Equipment Exchange.

2. A Night Vision Sub Forum

The NV sub forum has the occasional back and forth between vendors, but over all it's one of the few places around with that specific information.

If only M4C had its own NV sub forum. (Hint).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think once we realized in the last couple decades that:

No round is actually better than 556

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

ACOGs and AimPoints have been surpassed by LPVO's

... and we get a parts and ammo shortage every 3-5 years like clock work....

What is there left to argue about?

Gas ports? That's where we are at in 2020 AR land.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

Can't necessarily agree with that particular point.

Something as simple as hard chrome (especially the bolt) or the higher-end Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black are pretty cool. DLC ain't too shabby either. Pricier than phosphate but if you're not cheap they are actually quite nice. That said, there's still a need for lube despite the advertisements to the contrary. Keep them oiled up and cleaning is a breeze (if one cares about such a thing).
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-31-20 at 20:04.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

Pretty much. I’m not gonna argue port size. Honestly suppressors are nice but like not everything.

I like my ACOG though. And I have a couple piston Hks but I got them because HK and I like them

Eventually someone will make another 6MM bullet that wants to be the new SOCOM round.

I dunno

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Although, I gotta admit I haven't seen a good AR lube thread in a while. I have a feeling were missing out on some new and potentially game changing oils
    I lube my AR with an advanced non-synthetic formula consisting of beef tallow and pig fat. That way I have the comfort of knowing that even if I'm killed by Muslim and Hindu terrorists, operating operationally as like-minded brothers in creed, they won't have the satisfaction of eating my AR's bolt carrier with a clean conscience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast