Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR General Discussion forum dead?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    .... I would post something here about an auction I went to Wednesday evening in Las Vegas, New Mexico where I was the high bidder for a NIB Ruger AR-556, but I'd get run out. $290 for the thing. Owner bought it a couple of years ago, never used it and died. I'd be getting high fives at that other site....
    Are you kidding?
    I'm going to give you an internet high five right now. Did they have two? I'd literally buy it off you AND pay for shipping.
    $290 is hella good for a new training/loaner/fence-walking rifle. Geez, it can't be worse than a Poverty Pony.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 10-31-20 at 20:56.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    LPVOs only really surpass Aimpoints and ACOGs if you don't care about weight.

5.56mm is pretty mediocre, but the selection is awesome. Like if I could design any rifle from the ground-up, I would probably choose 5.45x39... if I could get ATK or Olin to design decent ammo for it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Are you kidding?
    I'm going to give you an internet high five right now. Did they have two? I'd literally buy it off you AND pay for shipping.
    $290 is hella good for a new training/loaner/fence-walking rifle. Geez, it can't be worse than a Poverty Pony.
    If there was two, I would have tried for both. It was a bunch of senior citizens and some antique dealers from Santa Fe at this Las Vegas, NM estate sale/auction. The only other Ruger rifle I own is a 1975 Ruger 10/22 I got as a teenager.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

5.56mm is pretty mediocre, but the selection is awesome. Like if I could design any rifle from the ground-up, I would probably choose 5.45x39... if I could get ATK or Olin to design decent ammo for it.
    I only have one LPVO, a Steiner 1-4x. I only got it because of an occasional weakness for being "trendy". It is nice to be sure. The length/weight is a bit much. I know I will be excoriated for this statement but IMHO an ACOG would do just as well for a good deal less length/weight.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The TA-31 is pretty usable even as close as 15 feet. I'm still shocked at how well the ACOG gathers light, especially when you shoot at night with a light

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I think LVPOs are still in their early stages in terms of being a combat optic, but they're coming along. The good ones have already improved issues with the eye box and actually creating a true 1x to where they're close to RDS for speed. I'd imagine if they stay popular, we'll start seeing ones that are smaller, lighter, have a greater battery life, and be even faster at 1x.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I think LVPOs are still in their early stages in terms of being a combat optic, but they're coming along. The good ones have already improved issues with the eye box and actually creating a true 1x to where they're close to RDS for speed. I'd imagine if they stay popular, we'll start seeing ones that are smaller, lighter, have a greater battery life, and be even faster at 1x.
    LPVOs have been around for 10-15 years, dudes were running around Iraq with Short Dots so not early by a long shot, quite the opposite, LPVOs are a pretty mature technology.

With the current tech a good LPVO on 1x is just as fast as a red dot, the only difference is the amount of trigger time you need to put in to match the time with a LPVO.

The future is electro-optics like fused systems but until they become more useable the LPVO is currently the king of general purpose fighting optics.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The future is electro-optics like fused systems but until they become more useable the LPVO is currently the king of general purpose fighting optics.
    Huge strides are being made in fully electronic day/night optics - basically mini cameras and displays with both color and IR vision capability. It probably won't be long before thermal is integrated as well, allowing a view in three modes either singly or combined by a computer. Day/IR systems already exist and have been through multiple generations with the price coming down and capabilities increasing. The reliability and long term durability aren't yet proven and probably are lacking, but as those get worked on these will become the major combat optic.

This is going to make the 1-4x LPVO and other conventional scopes start looking like 1871 Springfield Trapdoors in the near future. Looking at the size and zoom of the NX8 and Vortex Razor3 1-10x I think we're already close to the peak capabilities of LPVOs, considering the inescapable math of objective size, magnification and exit pupil size. When you switch to electronic cameras your limitations of objective lens size and magnification largely go away, and you can add image stabilization as well. You could also have the display be mounted on the user's helmet or glasses instead of on the gun, which opens up some interesting possibilities.

Current tech won't be worthless, just as iron sights are not worthless, but it will be far behind the more capable newer tech.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Because, we can use the search function and actually go in to an inter-dimensional whirl wind resulting in purchasing another "Uber Nich" AR?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ohhhh... once the anqueefers, CBP, DLDM, et. al. start rioting Tuesday night, LOTSA folks will start checking in!

Maintenance issues, most likely.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast