Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3X TAC A1 20” .308

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Range Report APA Little Bastard Brake

This was a quick range day due to being turkey day and all. Before I left, I cleaned the barrel with CLP, brush, and patches. Nothing fancy, same as I would do with any other rifle.

I got eighty rounds down range today. 20 rounds, 150 Grain .308 Win American Eagle just for fouling and to get the comp ports setup. 50 rounds, Lapua 175 Grain Scenar L OTM, 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 168 Grain .308 Win.

My rifle does not like any type of Gold Dot or Fusion bullet. I’m done with them and won’t be wasting anymore time or money with them.

The target looks like it’s hella shot up but it really isn’t. The last 5 round group my 8 y/o was shooting, he held the center as POA but you can see how bad the POI is, this is with the Speer ammo.

Center target, 10 rounds Scenar; I was adjusting the turrets while shooting hence the reason the group isn’t that great. #9 on right; 5 round group of Scenar, #9 bottom; 5 round group of Scenar, #9 left; 10 round group Scenar. 5 round group just to right of bull is the Speer. And the bottom right group is 5 rounds of the Speer.

Recoil is pretty much non existent with this brake. However, the other shooters will hate you. I had many comments about the brakes concussion. The comp ports are interesting and I’m still working them out right now. Hopefully Friday is another range day.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by davidjinks; 12-01-20 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’m liking the Scenar, #9 left.

If a comp is effective/efficient, it will be brutal with sideblast.
    I had a PA m4-72 on a .308 AR. It would cut 1/2” diameter Sunflower stems that were adjacent to the shooting bench.
    Once to 400 yds I could spot my own hits.

I had endless complaints when shooting with others.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I had many complaints.......

Luckily we were at an outdoor range with no overhead cover.

My son shot the rifle and was absolutely impressed with the lack of recoil. He said it was like shooting my M4. In regards to noise at the shooter’s ear, this brake is less abusive than the stock Tikka brake and bare barrel.

The adjustable comp ports are pretty cool, I’m still messing with them but they seem to do what they’re intended to do. The below picture is where I’m at right now for adjustments using the 175 Scenar.

Overall, I really like this rifle and scope setup. I emailed Matt at XLR and am waiting back for a response on the Element chassis. I’m really still up in the air about changing the chassis out. Total weight with an empty mag as the rifle sits is 12.6 pounds. Something I really don’t mind. We will see.....

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’m liking the Scenar, #9 left.

If a comp is effective/efficient, it will be brutal with sideblast.
    I had a PA m4-72 on a .308 AR. It would cut 1/2” diameter Sunflower stems that were adjacent to the shooting bench.
    Once to 400 yds I could spot my own hits.

I had endless complaints when shooting with others.
    EDITED TO ADD: In regards to the groups, I wasn’t “trying” to get super tight groups for this range trip. I was mainly getting a feel for the brake and messing with the comps. The left #9 was the last “group” of the day that I actually put forth some small effort on.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 11-27-20 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    I love all three of my tikka’s. Might have to look into that break you have on yours. That seems like a pretty slick set up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Only two complaints about the rifle.

Wished the stock had a tool-less adjustable LoP.

A 10 or 20 MOA rail on the receiver.

Yes, I would have paid more for those two items to be OEM.
    I had the same thought when I got mine but using a scope mount with built in 10moa I was able to get to 1000 yards just fine, plenty left in the scope elevation.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Some Technical Help Please

How do I get these sling mounts out of the rear of the stock? They are for sling hooks but the mount above that is for a detachable standard sling. These sling mounts get in the way of the top mount.

There appears to be a tab that holds these in the stock that looks like it’s staked in place, it’s difficult to get the picture.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I like the brake. Very simple to use as long as you don’t get wrapped around the axle of OCD perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Red the Monkey View Post
    I love all three of my tikka’s. Might have to look into that break you have on yours. That seems like a pretty slick set up.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’m going to worry about needing more MOA once I can get to a range that’s 1k. For now, I’m lucky to have a hundred yards...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I had the same thought when I got mine but using a scope mount with built in 10moa I was able to get to 1000 yards just fine, plenty left in the scope elevation.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I like the brake. Very simple to use as long as you don’t get wrapped around the axle of OCD perfection.
    Hahahahahaha. Very true Grasshopper.
    It is a difficult axle to unwind from.........
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I’m going to worry about needing more MOA once I can get to a range that’s 1k. For now, I’m lucky to have a hundred yards...
    Agreed. What I’m saying is that as much as I would have liked it to have a 10moa rail it’s not needed with most modern scopes and canted mounts.

I enjoy the hell out of my Tac A1. I going to have to buy another one because my wife hogs the one we have.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast