Thread: Just bought a LMT MWS in 308.....optic choice help please

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just bought a LMT MWS in 308.....optic choice help please

My intention is two-fold; battle rifle with 16” barrel and hunting rifle with 20” barrel not yet purchased. I’m leaning towards Nightforce NX8 and having a hard time choosing between 1-8, 2.5-10 or the 2.5-20. Prices aren’t too far apart and size/weight differences negligible.

Pretty sure I want the 2.5-20 Mil, just look good for validating I suppose

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    The benefit of the NX8 1-8 is size/weight. On an LMT MWS, that benefit is lost and you're still stuck with the optics limitations.

The 2.5-10's are a sort of no-man's land of optics today (different story 10+ years ago). They offer nothing over higher quality 8x glass on the top end and offer no advantage for the small-magnification range and bottom end. If they were $1000 or so, that might help but they aren't (the NF's). Might as well step up to the 2.5-20 and get more out of the whole package.

There's a reason you'll see legit dudes run things like Mk5 HD 3.6-18x or ATACR 4-16 or 5-20 Ultra shorts or 2.5-20 NX8's with piggy back rds's. Embrace the bigger/better optics given that you're already stuck with the size/weight penalty.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate the thoughtful answer; explains your opinion nicely. I didn't think of the piggyback rds when considering this choice but it makes perfect sense. thanks!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanager View Post
    I appreciate the thoughtful answer; explains your opinion nicely. I didn't think of the piggyback rds when considering this choice but it makes perfect sense. thanks!
    With red dots getting smaller/better in that niche' and more mounting options, having to stay married to a 1x bottom end isn't as critical. Plus it's a large-frame. Let the big dog eat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Copy that. I just bought the 2.5-20 Nightforce. Had one before and stupidly sold it; it's a fantastic optic and I think well-suited to this rifle. thanks!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My Leupold VX 1-6 which has a red dot has been 100% reliable, excellent glass, and not too much weight. Around $1100 bucks. I live on the east cost and using a switchview mounted on the scope allows it to really function well, - quickly moving from 1 - 6. Enjoy your new rifle!
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants