Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80% "Glocks" - what's your experience?

Feedback Score

80% "Glocks" - what's your experience?

I've got to be honest, never really been a glock guy. Perfectly serviceable and highly reliable without a doubt, and I recommend them to those starting out in shooting often. I usually say to them that the G-19 is the easy button for a first pistol. Glocks just never seemed to like me, I didn't shoot them well. The typical complaints. I can adjust to just about any handgun, but my G-17 (Gen 2) I just couldn't really get comfortable with.

Anyway, I decided to build an 80% 19. Partly just to do it, and all the "ghost gun" blah, blah...

Cool right. Man, these things are simple. The big suprise came when I got it all together. I liked the way it felt in my hand. I like the feel when shooting it. The design of the grip is "off" for a glock, but "on" as far as I am concerned.

My question is what to expect from this thing. An 80% AR lower I expect to be as durable and reliable as a factory lower as long as the machine work is correct. I'm not sure what to expect from this. It is obviously not identical. Concessions (from the original at least) have been made to allow for easy completion by the end user. Mine is a P80, so specific or in general what are your experiences with these 80% glocks?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    ����, pass.

Feedback Score
    I have one that I bought just because the lefties don't want me to have it. I'll build it if the election doesn't go the right way.

Feedback Score
    Watch marine gun builder on youtube. Lots of details on getting a good build. Expect fitting, especially the rear rails and front rails/locking block

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks I'll check the videos. I've built one, have one more. Seriously though it is very simple. Kind of like an open book test on tying shoes. It seems like the only way to F it up is to not pay attention to the details. I will see if I pick up valuable tips for #2.

Still looking for any input on durability, long term reliability, etc. How well has anyone liked (or hated) theirs.

I got a really good deal on these with other parts, so unless I take a slide to the kisser I figured I couldn't lose.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If you use all GLOCK parts including a GLOCK slide = no issues (based on the premise that you milled it correctly). People start to have issues when they add random aftermarket parts.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Built one when I jacked up a gen 2 23 frame. Used my cousin's cheap drill press and it went well. Had some runnout on his cheap drill but all the holes came out fine. Will take some time to get the pins loose enough to come out with a glock armor's tool. It has a dual illumination rmr and no sights, so strictly a gaming gun. I like the grip and added an overwatch trigger.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Built one when I jacked up a gen 2 23 frame. Used my cousin's cheap drill press and it went well. Had some runnout on his cheap drill but all the holes came out fine. Will take some time to get the pins loose enough to come out with a glock armor's tool. It has a dual illumination rmr and no sights, so strictly a gaming gun. I like the grip and added an overwatch trigger.
    I'm betting you drilled right through the frame as opposed to drilling each side separately like the directions indicate?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've got three P80 frames that used to replace the frames on three of my Glocks (one G19 size and two G17 sizes). I prefer the feel of the P80 frames, but don't like that they won't fit standard Glock holsters due to the wider trigger guard. They will fit most of my holsters that retain using the light. I ended up chopping the G17 size grips to G19 length (or close to it) and fitting mag wells on them, and they help me keep a higher grip on the frame. The slide rails on the P80 frame did require some tweaking/filing to ensure that there wasn't any binding, but once I did that, I haven't had any issues and they've been as reliable as the Glock frames they replaced. Anyone getting one needs to know that minor fitting may be required, just like any other aftermarket part.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I'm betting you drilled right through the frame as opposed to drilling each side separately like the directions indicate?
    No each side separate. Took some machining classes in college so I had a good grasp on it. Followed them up with a hand drill to just chace the holes after assembling a few times with a hammer and punches. They fit better now. Better to be tight than falling out loose.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast