Thread: 14.5 AK47... Will Irons Still Work

Feedback Score

14.5 AK47... Will Irons Still Work

Getting a new AK47. Thinking of chopping the barrel to 14.5. If I do will the stock irons still be accurate with the built in adjustment leaf sites?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Won't be as easy to score hits as the longer sight radius, but krinks have a shortened radius as well and are still fairly easy to score hits with out to 300 and even beyond. I think you will be happy, but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I doubt you will notice a difference. My guess is you are going to lose about 50fps. You will see more variation than that between brands of ammo, sometimes between lots of the same ammo.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    I doubt you will notice a difference. My guess is you are going to lose about 50fps. You will see more variation than that between brands of ammo, sometimes between lots of the same ammo.
    Yeah you don't loose much fps. Going from 16 to 8 you loose something like 200fps depending on ammo

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    7.62x39 is very forgiving down to 12” and even a bit further. As for losing sight radius? I wouldn’t give it a second though. If it really is a concern, get an optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7.62x39 does ok out of a shorter barrel. A buddy of mine had a shorty AK that was a great little blaster. He had his chopped down below 14", pretty much to the gas block, with only a couple fingers width of barrel out ahead of it. We only played out to 100m, because that's what the range was limited to, but it was a handy rifle that made easy hits with a railed gas tube mounted T1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhlNV095Z4

Those fellers took theirs way, way out there. The range portion starts at 4:24.

7.62x39 starts really running out of gas past 300-350, regardless of barrel length. One of the chief advantages of an AKM-type platform is the ability to chop the barrel and use a folding stock to give yourself a tiny lil blaster that you can shove into a backpack.

Oh, and to the question, it depends. If you have a traditional AKM, you'll cut the front irons off when you chop the barrel! If you have an AK-104 style gas-block-front-sight, you'll be good to go. As far as the sights themselves still working? I presume you're asking about the sliding dove tail rears, and they won't be exact (but they rarely are, anyways), so you'll need to work up some dope for them.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 11-11-20 at 15:20. Reason: answering the actual question