Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal SAM5 5.56x45 AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I didn't read this whole thread so this may have been answered but wasn't there a batch of Arsenal 556 with bad barrels. Or something bad that caused the barrels to severely degrade after a few thousand rounds?

I vaguely remember this was a thing about 10 years ago

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Not that I recall, no. There were feeding issues with the early SLR-106s that Arsenal later corrected. Mine is a 2006 production.
    Last edited by Aries144; 12-31-20 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Not that I recall, no. There were feeding issues with the early SLR-106s that Arsenal later corrected. Mine is a 2006 production.
    Yep, sounds about right. I'm just saying there was something. It's been a few years and while I was into AKs somewhat I never went for the 556 so I remember reading it in passing and not paying much attention to it. I'd check TheAkForum.net for more info

Feedback Score
    Yep, sounds about right. I'm just saying there was something. It's been a few years and while I was into AKs somewhat I never went for the 556 so I remember reading it in passing and not paying much attention to it. I'd check TheAkForum.net for more info

Yeah, I was very active over there at the time. I'd remember something about faulty barrels. Only issue was the feedramps being too small on the early rifles. Mine had that issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 68ar15 View Post
    Thank you very interesting
    Something I remembered looking back over that information: I disagree with lysander's conclusion that the powder is a bigger factor than the jacket material. His conclusion is only correct if you use the Army criteria for what constituted a failure, which includes velocity loss great than X amount. While hotter powders do cause more velocity loss, likely via throat erosion, there's evidence from these two tests that suggests accuracy would still be acceptable for the barrels shot with copper jacketed bullets. For me, I care more about a barrel's accurate life than velocity loss.

Ok, I'm done hijacking the thread. Back to SAM5s!

Feedback Score
    I had a SA M5 several years ago. Like a dumbass, sold it to consolidate on systems that accepted similar mags. Or at least that’s what I told myself. Don’t have many regrets in life, but that may be one. It was extremely smooth, reliable w/ all ammo, & accurate. I even liked the rpk style rear sight. Made zeroing for windage easy & repeatable. I didn’t care for the longer nato length stock. I don’t remember there being a warsaw length replacement. There was however an intermediate length that was between the 2. I ran it w/ an ultimak & aimpoint comp something. Was a little front heavy, but not awful. Can’t remember if micros were out @ that time, but they would’ve been ideal. Anyway, if you can’t tell, I liked mine. I sold it to a local gunshop & put the money towards a KAC SR15. I didn’t fully appreciate it until it was gone. Actually, it wasn’t until I picked up a SLR 106CR. That was extremely unreliable. Multiple failures to extract and / or eject.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    He means Bulgarian. I'm pretty sure you know that

Thank you Arik, as you should know, Im retarded about AK's. Bought a few just because..... I did visit Belgium a few years back, Freudian slip maybe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

Muzzle BRAKE, not break.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Yes, it's new. The code on the receiver is 60. That means 2020 production. Cosmetically it actually appears on par with my Arsenal SLR-95MB. For those who don't know, that's basically the same rifle that was imported in 7.62x39 around 1995 that has a muzzle break. I'm hoping that it's smooth and not horribly overgassed like most Arsenal rifles.

Feedback Score
    I knew that, but apparently my fingers didn't. It's fixed so you won't need to lose sleep over it.

Feedback Score
    Bret, want to give us an update? KVAR has these back in stock again. Was curious.

Feedback Score
    There's not much more that I can add. It's solid, reliable and decently accurate. The only thing that I didn't like about it is the over gassing, but the KNS gas piston solved that. I see they raised the price $350. However, you do get a muzzle brake instead of just a muzzle nut for that $350.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast