Thread: Help me buy/build a ar9

Feedback Score

Help me buy/build a ar9

Hey guys looking to buy or build an ar9. Like to keep my budget below $600 but want the best I can for my budget. Looking into buying either a complete upper or building. I've never built an ar platform firearm. What special tools are needed if I were to build and how much are they. Appreciate input

Feedback Score
    Below is the list I compiled during my build. I think my total cost was around 1k, you can save some money in places. Hope this helps. It's really easy to build since it's blowback and not gas impingement.

Upper and lower: Joe Bob's Spartan AR9 with Odin works extended mag release , made by NFA in Nevada. Joe Bob $263.01.
    Barrel: Faxon 8.5" Taper, 9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine, Blowback, 4150 QPQ. Brownells $113.99.
    Bolt: Faxon. Brownells $149.95.
    Grip: ERGO AR15 SUREGRIP Aggressive Texture - Black - OEM Packaged. JBO $13.95.
    Trigger: Spikes NiBoron. Joe Bob $53.95.
    Buffer: Kaw Valley Precision AR-15 Solid Stainless Steel Blowback Buffer - 7.5oz. Joe Bob $34.95.
    Buffer Spring: Kaw Valley Precision .308/Pistol Caliber Extra Power Carbine Buffer Spring. Joe Bob $6.95.
    Handguard: Strike Industries Strike Rail M-LOK Handguard-10". Optics $129.99.
    Compensator: Kaw Valley Precision 9mm XL Linear Comp. Joe Bob $36.95.
    Charging handle: Strike Industries AR-15 Extended Latch Charging Handle. Optics $31.95.
    Endplate: Griffin Armament AR-15 C2E Contour Connect QD End Plate. JBO $14.95.
    Castle nut: Carbine Stock Lock Ring - Castle Nut. JBO $4.95.
    Selector switch: JBO AR-15 Ambidextrous Safety Selector. JBO $14.95.
    Takedown pins: Strike Industries AR-15 Shift Removable Pivot / Takedown Pins. JBO $19.95.
    Foregrip: Strike Industries Link Curved Foregrip. Optics $35.95.
    Last edited by Manofmayhem; 11-04-20 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your break down. Helped alot. Do you recommend matching the bolt to barrel with manufacturer

Feedback Score
    I did because it made me feel better, but it isn't necessary with this type of rifle. You can shave some expense there. Make sure you go with the 7.5oz buffer and .308 buffer spring. I've shot supersonic and subsonic with zero issues. I love my build.
    Last edited by Manofmayhem; 11-05-20 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    If you just want to buy wait for a sale at Primary Arms, AIM Surplus, or Brownells for Foxtrote Mike. I have heard positive feedback on these and if you pick up a lower and upper separate you can prob be around $600. I think the complete guns run just a little more than that.

Primary arms seems to be the biggest seller of these, but the others i referenced carry as well

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am running a Luth-AR 9mm buffer in mine. It weighs 5 3/8 oz. I have a 8 oz buffer in my AR-45 which also works nether AR-9.

The H3 buffer is also over 5 oz so it is a possibility. I will likely try an H3 buffer in my SBR lower wife I use it for 300BO and can use an AR-9 upper with an Endomag. If it works with 300BO then I won’t need to swap buffers when I swap uppers.