Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope mounts general questions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Scope mounts general questions?

What are some things to look for when trying to purchase a mount for an lpvo? Seems like a dumb question but I see some mounts mention moa and I don't know why.

Are vertically screwed rings better or are the opposite better? One solid mount or two ring mounts?

This is gong on an ar-15. I like the aero precision lightweight mounts but I'm cautious of durability.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    What are some things to look for when trying to purchase a mount for an lpvo? Seems like a dumb question but I see some mounts mention moa and I don't know why.

Are vertically screwed rings better or are the opposite better? One solid mount or two ring mounts?

This is gong on an ar-15. I like the aero precision lightweight mounts but I'm cautious of durability.
    MOA mounts are meaningless for LPVOs. Pick one of these 3 and stop worrying about it.

Geissele
    Badger Condition One
    Scalarworks

Feedback Score
    The Seekins precision ones are nice also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    MOA mounts are meaningless for LPVOs. Pick one of these 3 and stop worrying about it.

Geissele
    Badger Condition One
    Scalarworks
    Or

American Defense
    Larue LT204
    Midwest

The Aero mount is light but not a "duty/HD" mount IMO. It will fail if abused.

Get a one piece mount. QD is nice if moving around to different guns, or to remove quicley if optic or mount fails.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Consider what your secondary sighting system is (if you’re going to have one). If you’re sticking with BUIS at 12 o’clock, then a QD scope mount would be a plus so you can remove the scope to flip up your irons. If you’re going with a non QD scope mount 45 off set BUIS would be necessary.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Geissele
    Badger Condition One
    Scalarworks
    Add Spuhr to that list and I'd see no reason to look further.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No love for Bobro?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    No love for Bobro?
    I like my Bobro mount for the Aimpoint Micro but like my Scalarworks Micro mount better. I think the Bobro mount's locking system is on the fragile side for heavier optics such as a LPVO.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For non-qd, unimounts from Nightforce, Badger and Geissele are tops. I've never used Scalarworks, so can't comment.

I've used Bobro, LaRue and MI for QD and prefer Bobro's greater surface clamping.

AP is indeed lightweight and, IMO, not appropriate for heavier LPVO's.

Using two individual ring mounts will most likely not give enough eye relief unless you were to bridge the optic on both the receiver and the rail which is generally not recommended.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good recommendations but anyone have any real info on what moa in a mount means or other things to look for or learn to know what seperates a good mount from an ok mount.

I realize now that and good brand mount will suffice for an lpvo but I'd still like to garner more info on mounts.

I like scalarworks, I had one for the comp m4s. But could you imagine trying to turn those knobs to remove the optic if your hands where bloody or the knobs where mudy or something. Maybe I had my knobs to tighg, but I just don't consider it to be a true quick release mount.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast