Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACRO for duty use?

Feedback Score
    I’m getting 3-4 months out a battery turning the sight down at night or when not in use.

The problem I now have is that the battery cap screw slot is easy to strip out. The idiots at Aimpoint made it so basically nothing fits well in the battery cap slot. The Aimpoint tool is plastic and breaks or won’t torque it down, and doesn’t fit for shit. A nickel or dime also don’t work well and will chip away at the edges of the slots. Even my gunsmith screw drivers don’t fit well, and I have to put masking tape on the bit to try to mitigate damage to the aluminum cap. This is unacceptable, and particularly egregious on a sight that needs battery changes in my use every 3 months or so. That means 4 changes per year and a destroyed battery cap.

The cap also has very fine threads that want to cross thread and generally be a pain in the ass.

I’ve also had the sight “turn off” during a match because I was running the slide and I fat fingered the brightness buttons. It needs a lockout option.

At this point the only redeeming features are that it’s otherwise rugged (minus the stupid battery cap), the glass is nice, and the mounting solution is superior.

Overall after a year and a half in service I cannot recommend this optic. Aimpoint gets a D- on this one.

Feedback Score
    The plastic Aimpoint tool works okay for me, when using the two windage/elevation adjustment nubs. I have much better luck with the Patriot Products Combat Optic Tool, and using the windage/elevation adjustment nubs on there. I personally don't mind the threading, and have had minimal issues with cross threading. This is from someone that changes the batteries out of 2 ACROs every 2 weeks.

I have never had an issue with the buttons; I run the slide up front the vast majority of the time to begin with.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 11-17-20 at 15:21.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    if they added the shake awake feature to the Acro, that would solve the short battery life issue for me, especailly on a HD gun that is stationary most of the time.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If I were a cop I wouldn't want either. If they made me do it I would choose the RMR. The ACRO with it's square faces looks like it would snag stuff more than the MRO. I shot IPSC for many years. My holster to first shot times were the same speed with both limited and open guns on targets inside of 3-5 yards where I really wasn't looking for a sight picture. I think using a gun enough that it becomes part of you is more important than what sights are on it.
    Agreed
    I have limited time with both. I really struggled to get off quick, close, shots off as good as iron sights. With most gunfights occurring at that 3-5 yard range I want quick target acquisition. They do have their merits at 25 yards and out though.

Having said that I don’t doubt at all with time and practice I could get the same results.

But at this stage in my career I have years and thousands of reps with iron sights and I’m at a point where I’m about as good as I’m ever gonna get with them and I don’t feel like retraining myself. That and I work nights and I don’t want to worry about messing around with a brightness setting as I’m trying to shoot some bad guy who’s trying to shoot me.

OP- Have you shot with a red fiber optic front sight? I really like those. They look just like a red dot sight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The problem I now have is that the battery cap screw slot is easy to strip out. The idiots at Aimpoint made it so basically nothing fits well in the battery cap slot. The Aimpoint tool is plastic and breaks or won’t torque it down, and doesn’t fit for shit. A nickel or dime also don’t work well and will chip away at the edges of the slots. Even my gunsmith screw drivers don’t fit well, and I have to put masking tape on the bit to try to mitigate damage to the aluminum cap. This is unacceptable, and particularly egregious on a sight that needs battery changes in my use every 3 months or so. That means 4 changes per year and a destroyed battery cap.

The cap also has very fine threads that want to cross thread and generally be a pain in the ass.
    https://soldiersystems.net/2020/11/1...essortools-com

Feedback Score
    Saw the same thing today. Almost purchased but balked at $20 doodad and $10 shipping.

Feedback Score
    I have had this conversation with members or former members with the Armies top anti terror unit, guys that are much better shots than the average cop.

One statement that stuck with me from one of these guys sums it up perfectly. Red dots on pistols is just plain cheating, it is easier to use than irons.

I agree with that 100%, but then let's compare these top shooters with cops. One is a group of shooters and the other isn't. If you don't train with a red dot, then you will never achieve the level of success that you had with irons.

So my take away is are red dots for every police officer and a magic solution. Nope.

Will a red dot if used properly as a training tool, along with the time training actually make you a better pistol shooter. Yes it will.

So for officers willing to train they are a good tool. For older officers that now need reading glasses is it a great tool, providing they are willing to train. Heck yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have had this conversation with members or former members with the Armies top anti terror unit, guys that are much better shots than the average cop.

One statement that stuck with me from one of these guys sums it up perfectly. Red dots on pistols is just plain cheating, it is easier to use than irons.

I agree with that 100%, but then let's compare these top shooters with cops. One is a group of shooters and the other isn't. If you don't train with a red dot, then you will never achieve the level of success that you had with irons.

So my take away is are red dots for every police officer and a magic solution. Nope.

Will a red dot if used properly as a training tool, along with the time training actually make you a better pistol shooter. Yes it will.

So for officers willing to train they are a good tool. For older officers that now need reading glasses is it a great tool, providing they are willing to train. Heck yes.
    I agree with everything short of calling it cheating.

Do you have optics on your rifles? That's cheating too then if you don't shoot them with irons.

Feedback Score
    I was quoting someone on the cheating, I don't think their is cheating in a gun fight. Survive or die is a gun fight, so "cheat" all you need to to survive. I used to extol back shooting.

Feedback Score
    As far as effectiveness as a sight, the ACRO does well for its size. No doubt advantageous for speed and accuracy once distances are past 7-10 yards. Shooting groups at 50 yards unsupported standing is a breeze with the ACRO, or other quality RDS. I got to play with an SRO mounted on a CZ Shadow, now that was just about cheating. Huge window, great trigger, and an all steel gun: no recoil, dot never leaves the window, and trigger that makes shooting easy.

I understand the resistance to using an RDS based on most shootings taking place inside of 5 yards, but being equipped and capable of easily being effective far beyond that is not a bad thing either for those willing to put in the work. I know the guys I shot against in Carry Optics division who are more experienced certainly weren’t slowed down on their raw times and were getting enough “A”s to crush most of the dudes shooting limited major power factor on both points and time. They put in the work, and reaped the rewards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast