Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACRO for duty use?

Feedback Score
    My agency has issued the Acro, the RMR, and the SRO. All are gtg but my favorite is the SRO.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    At this point in time, the only two sights that interests me are the new Sig Romeo 2 or the Holosun
    509T. And I’m leaning towards the Sig, as I believe this model is made and assembled in the USA.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I just recently went through Aimpoint's Pistol Optics training class. They provided use of guns & optics. The sights worked very well and didn't snag on anything. The Aimpoint reps eluded to the battery life issue being a moot point in the very near future.

I personally own RMRs, SROs and Holosuns. My agency uses RMRs, SROs, DPPs, Romeo 1 Pros, Holosuns and ACROs. So far all have worked just fine. I personally think that having to change your battery every month is unacceptable, but if that doesn't bother you, the ACRO is an otherwise good sight. You do need to be careful with the battery cap because it is easily cross threaded.

I haven't measured the window, but the ACRO appears to my eyes to have a larger FOV. I have been using an RMR primarily for the past 5 years and have only been testing an ACRO for the past few months.

As far as the advantages over iron sights go, we looked at some numbers that were put out a few months back. I am doing this from memory, so don't flame me if I get it wrong. A study of the CONUS LE shootings they could find showed an accuracy rate of upwards of 50%. If you took out one shooting, with a higher than average number of rounds and misses, the accuracy rate was at 70%. That is significant when you think that CONUS LE accuracy rates are generally in the 15-25% rate.

Another huge advantage is the target focus. I can only imagine that the number of "mistaken" shootings, i.e. cell phone in the hands vs. gun will go down since you will be staring at the target vs. the front sight.

Those were some of the reasons for our decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    My department has recently authorized the use of a rds for our Glocks.

My understand the battery life issue, I wouldn’t have a problem changing the battery every month, I can get 10 batteries for $10.
    My question is to anyone that has used both the ACRO, and the RMR and if you can give any insight.
    I like that the ACRO has the enclosed emitter, along with no tint. From online videos it appears the ACRO, has a bigger field of view.

Thank you.
    Last edited by JEL458; 11-27-20 at 07:46. Reason: Auto-correct

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have no inside info, but I would be willing to bet a firmware update solves the battery issue.

cop1211 - the Denton Texas Police Department firearms training unit has been running ACRO's since they were introduced. I did a class with two of their guys a year ago. I bet if you sent them a request on agency letterhead, or reached out through an agency email, they would be happy to chat with you. Very nice guys, and they were great shooters and teachers.

Feedback Score
    I think ppl may be spoiled by the insane battery life of other Aimpoint sights. Comparatively the ACRO is way less (not sure the technical reasons why), but it's still not bad compared to many optics that have seen duty use (both issued and individual purchase).

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Ive decided to go with the Trijicon SRO.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    For duty use, I'd only use an ACRO if my job bought it and funds the 24 batteries per year required to keep it powered.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    Ive decided to go with the Trijicon SRO.
    Check out the Jagerworks cover plate, I personally think it will be the accessory that brings the SRO to "duty-grade" toughness

https://jagerwerks.com/pre-order-b-r...ime-4-6-weeks/
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Check out the Jagerworks cover plate, I personally think it will be the accessory that brings the SRO to "duty-grade" toughness

https://jagerwerks.com/pre-order-b-r...ime-4-6-weeks/
    I saw that, I reached out to Jagerwerks asking if it would fit a Safariland duty holster and they said not without modifications, I have to purchase my own duty holster, so a little dremeling might do the trick.

Feedback Score
    That looks like a nice simple and effective solution to keeping an SRO alive and ticking under hard use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast