1 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Best lube for AR?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    School of The American Rifle
    I wouldn't say he actually packed the BCG with grease, but, man that is an awful lot of lube on everything. It was even all over the outside of the gun.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Ammunition can be "deactivated" by oils seeping into the primers and screwing with ignition. Granted, it probably takes a good deal to do so but I stay on the safe side and want a dry chamber for loaded firearms.
    Just for S&G one day while reloading I took a half dozen 45 ACP cases, primed them with a couple different brands of primer (CCI and FED IIRC), and squirted about 1/8" of WD40 into the cases. Let it sit overnight. So the primers soaked in WD40 overnight.

Ran all of them through a pistol the next AM, every single one went bang.

I agree that a bunch of lube on the ammo and in the chamber is bad practice, but if WD40 does this it takes quite a while. And with sealed/crimped primer ammo it has some creeping to do......

Anyhow, I've heard this a lot in the interwebs but not sure I believe it. My test was not close to controlled, long term, trying rifle and pistol primers, etc. Just one guy in his garage one day who wondered......

WD40 definitely does gum up with time. Another lube that gums up with time is Wilson Ultra lube. I've had it gum up 1911's that sat for a year. Air conditioned safe storage. Really.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 11-30-20 at 10:56.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    What if the issue with WD-40 isn't that it kills the primers, but kills (or otherwise drastically alters) the powder burn rate?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've often wondered whether chainsaw bar and chain oil might work okay? It has the added tack to it to keep it from slinging off the chain. Kind of a cross between grease and oil.

More of a curiosity than a realistic exercise.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Boy, I sure hope that Sriracha bottle doesn't somehow find it's way into the kitchen, haha.
    The label is the law chad is a good dude with a wealth of knowledge and experience, but that’s a sh!t ton of lube that I would say is excessive.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    He's also a member here that's made some very useful contributions to the AR world. Food for thought.
    So what...

If the video was a spoof then he got me. I don't think it's too funny as many people will believe it and thus regurgitate that garbage. There's more than enough stupid dogmatic crap that has been passed on for decades that needs to die. We don't need to add to the pile of BS.

Feedback Score
    I have to laugh.....the first few shots after that pasting is gonna spew shit everywhere out the ejection port!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have to laugh.....the first few shots after that pasting is gonna spew shit everywhere out the ejection port!
    Yeah I thought the same thing.

I tried grease once, it held all the carbon, it was extremely messy to clean up.

I only use a touch of grease in my truck gun ( 300Blk). Just because it sits so much.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Yeah I thought the same thing.

I tried grease once, it held all the carbon, it was extremely messy to clean up.

I only use a touch of grease in my truck gun ( 300Blk). Just because it sits so much.
    Seems like LSA would work for that (if you can find it these days)
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Seems like LSA would work for that (if you can find it these days)
    Ahh, the original "gun cum"!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast