Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Shoot my Glock 30s a bit because who could find enough ammo to break it?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Project: Shoot my Glock 30s a bit because who could find enough ammo to break it?

I have been looking around for a 30s for a while and I picked one up today. I blasted 100 rounds of FMJ and it seems to be pretty good. Questions....

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the Night Sights? I would like Some Ameriglo Operators/troopers or HDs but I don't want to order anything if there is slide width weirdness (seeing as it has a 36 slide). I don't think there is but the guy at the gunshop said there was so I want to make sure before I spend $100

What is a good, thin IWB holster that fits it properly? I am running it in a OWB leather backed Glaco OWB that is OK, but I think this thing would be a decent IWB with a thin holster.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been using this simple IWB holster for a few years now with my G30 and have been happy with it. It is very thin and unobtrusive. FWIW I have a couple of his OWB holsters, too, and they are top notch.

https://www.gunnerscustomholsters.bi...ory-s/1817.htm
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Keep us up-to-date on this one. I had my eye on one right before COVID. Went in to grab it but it sold that morning.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    225 rounds so far. I ordered some XS RAM 3 dot night sights. Hopefully get them on tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have pretty much switched to JM Custom Kydex or Dark Star Gear for all my IWB stuff. I do really like Keepers Concealment for the AIWB stuff. I still run Raven or Safariland for overt OWB when I am forced to wear OWB at a class.

And I do like the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights with the tritium front sight. As an old fossil, they work well for me.

I really am not a fan of the 3-dot night sights, but that is just me. If there is enough light to shoot a target, I have enough to properly align a one tritium dot with the non-tritium rears.

Just my dos not very shiny centavos.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at Ravens Mulligan. I ordered one for my G19 but the 30s fits fine. I really like it as it fits the gun like a glove and it protects my belly from the slide. If I'm in a hurry I use my High Noon Holsters IWB. Another good choice but it is horsehide.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I got my Trijicons, they listed the 30 and 36 (including all S and SF derivatives) in the same group as the other .45 ACP and 10mm guns. Really, it depends on the manufacturer.

I have White Hat OWB set up for the 30S and TLR-7... and my issued 19 G5 MOS fits perfectly with the same light. Believe I tried the IWB ones with the same result, but I rarely wear them.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    110034D4-2154-4AE5-B116-FF6DE4F7A920.jpeg

FA95ADB3-E77D-4211-8F84-95397B3B83F3.jpeg

These are very interesting alternative to the Hackathorn/ HD style because they are very bright yellow that is quite visible during the day but ridiculously visible in low light. while they do have rear tritium sights they’re not ringed at all —they’re just there for reference and very low light.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well, I shot 50 rounds of Blazer Brass and 50 rounds of Aluminum Blazer yesterday. (cue: "I'm rich, bitch!)

The bad...

1. Having shot Gen 5 Glock 19s a lot recently I forgot how big an improvement it really is over the old Gen 3 guns. The trigger is much "sproingyer" on the Gen 3. Lots of very tactile mechanical chatter in the old trigger system. Of course, this is all easily forgotten once you spend a bunch of time shooting the older triggers. I am lazy though so I am considering looking around for a -1 connector after I get past the 1000 round mark (I am thinking this might take about 4 months given the current conditions. I am splitting my shooting up to 100 rounds of either 9mm or 45 per week plus a bunch of 22. I have excellent stores but who the Hell knows when ammo will be regularly available?). It requires a lot more care to shoot a tight group with the 30s than the Gen5 19.

2. Another Gen 3 thing is less positive ejection. The blazer brass ejected to the right but the aluminum stuff flew black and over my head but fortunately way over my shoulder. No Btf.

The Good....

3. I have owned this gun before and this is the second time I have been impressed by how easy the gun is to shoot. The whole idea that the 30S is "more snappy" is lost on me. Of course, I don't have a 30 to compare it to but I can say that it is a pussycat and isn't difficult to shoot at speed. It isn't Langdon Beretta 92 fast, but it is amazingly fast for a .45. Much closer to my 1911 than my Hk USP 45.

4 The XS R3D Night Sights are excellent. I first ran into these on my Vp9OR. The front sight is green/yellow and it is very bright (much brighter than say, my Trijicon HDs) The surrounding ring seems to be constructed in such a way that the tritium makes the apparent size of the front ring much larger at night. And it is a big ol' bright ring during the day. https://www.xssights.com/UIImages/10...%20V3%20-2.png. Really fits the bill for a pistol that is likely to be worn without a light.

5. I ran a 13 round mag as my spare. Ran perfectly.

4632DF24-1B3B-4D28-8911-CB0A65E362B6_1_201_a by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well, I shot 50 rounds of Blazer Brass and 50 rounds of Aluminum Blazer yesterday. (cue: "I'm rich, bitch!)

The bad...
    H
    1. Having shot Gen 5 Glock 19s a lot recently I forgot how big an improvement it really is over the old Gen 3 guns. The trigger is much "sproingyer" on the Gen 3. Lots of very tactile mechanical chatter in the old trigger system. Of course, this is all easily forgotten once you spend a bunch of time shooting the older triggers. I am lazy though so I am considering looking around for a -1 connector after I get past the 1000 round mark (I am thinking this might take about 4 months given the current conditions. I am splitting my shooting up to 100 rounds of either 9mm or 45 per week plus a bunch of 22. I have excellent stores but who the Hell knows when ammo will be regularly available?). It requires a lot more care to shoot a tight group with the 30s than the Gen5 19.

2. Another Gen 3 thing is less positive ejection. The blazer brass ejected to the right but the aluminum stuff flew black and over my head but fortunately way over my shoulder. No Btf.

The Good....

3. I have owned this gun before and this is the second time I have been impressed by how easy the gun is to shoot. The whole idea that the 30S is "more snappy" is lost on me. Of course, I don't have a 30 to compare it to but I can say that it is a pussycat and isn't difficult to shoot at speed. It isn't Langdon Beretta 92 fast, but it is amazingly fast for a .45. Much closer to my 1911 than my Hk USP 45.

4 The XS R3D Night Sights are excellent. I first ran into these on my Vp9OR. The front sight is green/yellow and it is very bright (much brighter than say, my Trijicon HDs) The surrounding ring seems to be constructed in such a way that the tritium makes the apparent size of the front ring much larger at night. And it is a big ol' bright ring during the day. https://www.xssights.com/UIImages/10...%20V3%20-2.png. Really fits the bill for a pistol that is likely to be worn without a light.

5. I ran a 13 round mag as my spare. Ran perfectly.

4632DF24-1B3B-4D28-8911-CB0A65E362B6_1_201_a by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    I may be in the minority but I really appreciate this thread and am looking forward to updates as round count progresses.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast